Becoming a PADI DM - The Blog!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stuart, if you do wear a weight belt, you have to exchange that, as well. I will probably just try to do it in my board shorts.

Was just thinking; probably be best if both of us remove the BCD at the same time, put it on our knee, and when ready swapped at the same time, to minimize floating. I'll be watching a few videos before I do it.

I thought I had read something like before (re: swapping weight belts). It definitely seems like doing it in board shorts would be the easiest!

If you are in board shorts, you should be pretty well neutral with the BCD off. So, as long as you are neutral before you start, the BCD should also be neutral when it's off. Thus, making the swap really easy, even if you do it hovering in mid-water.

Back in the Dark Ages (2009) the equipment exchange wasn't counted for points, so you had to get 12 points with the 4 things. Ironically, I feared the exchange the most because you it could be announced at any time and you got 5 mins. to devise a plan--aced that by us starting with the other guys gear on.
I only got a 3 on the float because I couldn't do the last 2 mins. hands out--I can't float in fresh water due to extreme neg. buoyancy--probably couldn't have done it without drown proofing when I was 20, let alone 56.. Aced that later when I found out drown proofing was "legal"-- would've been nice had my instructor suggested it the first time.
The 400 I couldn't even finish the first time as I didn't train. Though I was on the H.S. swim team in 1970, I hadn't done real swimming in 39 years--just a ton of snorkeling--add the fins and your not swimming with a proper stroke, you're kicking. After advice on my technique from my competitive swimming brothers I managed to get a 3 the second time around.

There is an official reason for these tests, as previously pointed out. This has been discussed years ago on Going Pro. Lots of opinions on what that reason really is, as instructors and others differ. My take on it back then was that someone in PADI devised the tests a long time ago and they really haven't been looked at much since (other than adding the equip. exchange). I put forth a list of how I'd change each test--making some harder, some easier--but that requires a
"search on Scubaboard".

@Birddog1911

If you check your instructor manual (its full of useful information), page 110, equipment exchange, it states that it's all scuba equipment with the exception of exposure suit and weights.

We were in board shorts and rashvests. The water here is very warm and the sun very hot and strong.

I did note on some video's online candidates weren't wearing a snorkel. I guess to make the mask swap easier, but given you're supposed to wear it at all times....

If I were to had to change the weight belt, my procedure would have been to remove the BCD, hold it between my knees then remove the weight belt and exchange.

For my exchange we used my regs for the air share as I have 40" hoses and swivel elbows which makes everything that much easier.

One issue I faced, was that my feet are bigger than all of the other staff (I'm the only DMC at the moment). My solution was to suggest that we started with each others fins, and exchanged them first. That got me points for thinking through a solution to a problem.

At the end of the day don't over think this exercise. Add a little extra weight to your belt to stop you from being floaty and adding additional stress. Remember you may have slightly evevated breathing and thus might be more buoyant
  1. Agree the order with your buddy I chose fins (one at a time), BCD, Mask
  2. Before you exchange anything, just air share for a few breaths to settle down. Signal with a finger, breath 1 then with 2 fingers breath 2.
  3. Give an OK before you start. Don't rush, make each exchange smoothly. Used clear movements as though you were demonstrating that skill to a student. Wait for your buddy to be ready before you pass each item.
  4. After each exchange pause with a breath each and give the OK for the next item.
  5. If you see a problem correct it. Pay special attention to the Hose twisting on the shared reg. Just calmly run it through your fingers to untwist.
  6. Make sure at all times you have bubbles coming from your mouth if no reg in...
Chill out and enjoy it :)

How did you do on the underwater cigarette lighting?

I'm enjoying this blog, it's been a long time since I did DM and it's interesting to see how the process has evolved (and not).

• 800m Swim - mask, snorkle and fins
  • 400m Swim - Swimming costume only - swim goggles allowed
Is there a time limit and number of stops? I am presently doing 1000 meters 3 times a week, but I do it in an hour (need my arms for work the next day). I believe my best 500 was 20 minutes, swimming costume only.

Is there a time limit and number of stops? I am presently doing 1000 meters 3 times a week, but I do it in an hour (need my arms for work the next day). I believe my best 500 was 20 minutes, swimming costume only.

From the PADI instructor Manual 02/16 (As I still haven't' completed my DM I don't have this year's revision)

Yes there are times see below No stops allowed - it's an incomplete and you try again

800m
5 Points Under 14 mins
4 Points 14-16.:30 mins
3 Points 16:30 - 18.:30
2 Points 18:30 - 21 mins
1 Point Over 21

Stopping = Incomplete

400m
5 Points Under 6:30 min
4 Points 6:30 - 8:40 min
3 Points 8:40 - 11 min
2 Points 11 min - 13 mins
1 Point Over 13 mins
Stopping = Incomplete

100m Tow

5 Points Under 2:10 min
4 Points 2:10 - 3:15 min
3 Points 3:15 - 4:20 min
2 Points 4:20 min - 5:30 mins
1 Point Over 5:30 mins
Stopping = Incomplete

Last edited:
@Birddog1911

If you check your instructor manual (its full of useful information), page 110, equipment exchange, it states that it's all scuba equipment with the exception of exposure suit and weights.

We were in board shorts and rashvests. The water here is very warm and the sun very hot and strong.

I did note on some video's online candidates weren't wearing a snorkel. I guess to make the mask swap easier, but given you're supposed to wear it at all times....

If I were to had to change the weight belt, my procedure would have been to remove the BCD, hold it between my knees then remove the weight belt and exchange.

For my exchange we used my regs for the air share as I have 40" hoses and swivel elbows which makes everything that much easier.

One issue I faced, was that my feet are bigger than all of the other staff (I'm the only DMC at the moment). My solution was to suggest that we started with each others fins, and exchanged them first. That got me points for thinking through a solution to a problem.

At the end of the day don't over think this exercise. Add a little extra weight to your belt to stop you from being floaty and adding additional stress. Remember you may have slightly evevated breathing and thus might be more buoyant
  1. Agree the order with your buddy I chose fins (one at a time), BCD, Mask
  2. Before you exchange anything, just air share for a few breaths to settle down. Signal with a finger, breath 1 then with 2 fingers breath 2.
  3. Give an OK before you start. Don't rush, make each exchange smoothly. Used clear movements as though you were demonstrating that skill to a student. Wait for your buddy to be ready before you pass each item.
  4. After each exchange pause with a breath each and give the OK for the next item.
  5. If you see a problem correct it. Pay special attention to the Hose twisting on the shared reg. Just calmly run it through your fingers to untwist.
  6. Make sure at all times you have bubbles coming from your mouth if no reg in...
Chill out and enjoy it :)
Very sound advice. Although the PADI standard dictates that exchanging weights is not a requirement, my instructor insisted that we do it. If required, the key here is for both participants to remove their weight belts and hold on to them and then exchange them over to one another simultaneously, so that neither becomes unweighted and begins to float. I also found it helpful to not be trying to don gear simultaneously. This creates additional complexity and task loading. It is not a timed event. We found it to be smoothest to have only one person donning gear at a time and to do the donning during the period when not breathing from the regulator. Like all task loading or stressful situations, the key is to stop, think and then act. RELAX

Stuart, if you do wear a weight belt, you have to exchange that, as well. .
no - you don't -
Exercise 5 — Equipment Exchange
In confi ned water, demonstrate the ability to eff ectively
respond to an unusual circumstance underwater by
exchanging all scuba equipment (except exposure suits and
weights) with a buddy while sharing a single regulator
second stage earning a minimum score of 3.

Back
Top Bottom