Becoming a PADI DM - The Blog!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, polishing the skills was the biggest hurdle for me--especially perfect donning/doffing the unit. I guess every instructor likes it done a little different. Our "boat" training involved a 2 tank day and giving a dive briefing. No such training in guiding dives. Assisting with courses as a cert. DM usually involved bringing up the rear with the student group (or side, if 2 DMs with large group), as we swam out to the training buoy-- sometimes you would lead for some reason, so I guess you could call that guiding. And a few other instances like taking a cold diver to shore, shadowing the student buddy/group on their "mini dive" in OW checkout #4.

Had to laugh as well about the GIANT RDP! There was one of those (bendable metal) in our classroom when I took OW in 2005. The instructor gave it to this 13 year old who started bending it to make noise and disrupt the class--like he was in his Jr. High...(I understand THAT since I use to be a teacher). The damn thing is still down there and at 63 now I probably wouldn't make fun of it....

To be fair PADI DM for me is a stepping stone to the Instructor course (my IE is in Aug) so the more I can perfect now, the easier the IE will be.

If you haven't already, get a hold of PADI's Diving Knowledge Workbook and start working through it now - there's a bit of a jump between DM theory and IDC/IE theory... The more comfortable you are with this in advance, the more relaxed your IDC/IE will be !

Thanks for sharing. I took the DM course last year (age 56) and will do the BSAC DL course soon with the Abu Dhabi Sub Aqua club. I do agree that these two certifications do complement and I look forward to the DL course a bit later. Keep going. Keep updating us. Thanks for bringing us along your journey.

GJS

Thanks for sharing this! I wish I'd found it sooner. I take my final exams on Monday, and last pool session on Wed. After that, I'll be doing my OW internship. Looking forward to being a help, and learning even more. I should be starting IDC at the end of August.

Thanks for sharing this! I wish I'd found it sooner. I take my final exams on Monday, and last pool session on Wed. After that, I'll be doing my OW internship. Looking forward to being a help, and learning even more. I should be starting IDC at the end of August.
Good luck with the - we should be both doing it around the same time. Maybe I'll expand or start a new "blog" for that

Part 4

The dreaded Swim Tests
I think, without doubt the swim test strike the most fear into candidates. You have 5 compulsory tests to be completed against the clock. They are as follows (in no particular order)

1. 800m Swim - mask, snorkle and fins
  2. 400m Swim - Swimming costume only - swim goggles allowed
  3. 100m Rescue tow with you and the victim in full dive gear
  4. 15 minute tread water, last 2 mins hands clear of water
  5. Equipment exchange
Each test is scored from 1 - 5 depending on your time (with the exception of the equipment exchange which isn't timed but is still scored)

You need to achieve a minimum of 15 points as a total score of all the tests

Personally I hate swimming. I can swim enough to get me out of trouble (or to the pool bar) and that's it. I'm 6'4, even as a kid at school I was tall and could always touch the bottom. Swimming - nope. I'm also as buoyant as a brick with lead weights. I hate being out of my depth in water - except if in scuba eqipment

At 51 I could be fitter. I could have also go off my backside and gone out and trained. But I didn't.

The purpose of these tests (with the exception of the equipment exchange) is to prove a minimum fitness and level of stamina (Instructors please correct me if I'm wrong)

As I pointed out to my instructor staff, I mainly dive with a DPV, so to be realistic I should be able to use my DPV. I even offered to allow them to accompany me using my wife's DPV.

They didn't buy that.... Dammit.

So off we go.

The trick here (unless you're a good swimmer and or have trained) is to play the tactical game. Pick at least one you hope to get a 5 on, get it done get that 5 and you've taken some pressure off

My weakest was always going to be the 400m and so it was, I got a 1. but I'd scored a 5 on the tread water, despite sucking at the surface for air like a whale shark feeding on plankton. So points in the bag

The Equipment exchange wasn't going to be an issue, it's just there to see how you overcome problems.

For my 800m I used my DiveRite XT fins, which was a mistake. They're great in current and give good drive over short bursts, but over 800m they are tiring. I should have used my Apex RX3 which are slightly easier

If you fail or want to improve a score you can re-take. I was focused on the 15 points. No more no less. I got there without killing myself too much, and was supremely glad it was over.

Now for the fun stuff....

I got a 5 on the tread; I was dreading it, thinking it'd be like a drown proofing session in the military. I was happily wrong.
Scored a 3 on the 400; that was the one that really worried me the most.
Didn't do as good as I was hoping on the tired diver tow. But, I attribute that to my "victim" wearing a BP/W. He kept rotating in my hand, and I had to correct that. Got a 3.
I will be finishing the pool session on Wed. I've practiced the 800m snorkel, and beat the 13 minute time by 2 minutes, so little concern there for me.

I have, unfortunately, let the equipment exchange get in my head. A buddy and I practiced it last month, without even ever seeing it. He didn't have a wetsuit on, I had my 3 mil. Was also a little light on weight. We'd already been in the pool a while, and I was slightly exerted. Once I slipped out of my BCD, I started floating, and had to fight it. Wound up getting gassed, and aborted the exchange by going back to my regulator (we were on his). It stressed me out a little, and now has me worrying. I know I just have to settle down, relax, and realize that I know what to do.

All I've got left is to polish the skills circuit. I'm okay, but I need to just get that extra 20% of refinement and keeping perfectly neutral in a pool that's only 8' deep.

I absolutely love reading this. Sounds like you are in a good program. My guess/hopes is that you are being taught to demonstrate at the instructor level.

I have, unfortunately, let the equipment exchange get in my head. A buddy and I practiced it last month, without even ever seeing it. He didn't have a wetsuit on, I had my 3 mil. Was also a little light on weight. We'd already been in the pool a while, and I was slightly exerted. Once I slipped out of my BCD, I started floating, and had to fight it. Wound up getting gassed, and aborted the exchange by going back to my regulator (we were on his). It stressed me out a little, and now has me worrying. I know I just have to settle down, relax, and realize that I know what to do.

It does seem like it would be easiest to do the gear swap in board shorts. That way you are pretty much neutral after you remove your rig.

Alternatively, you could wear a wetsuit and weight belt to be neutral. But, would they make you remove the weight belt as part of the exercise? If so, then that would defeat the purpose.

I'm doing the SDI DM program and, as far as I know, there is no exercise to swap gear underwater. I had to do the BCD remove and replace, to demonstration quality (which I did in a BP/W), but I did not have to swap rigs with anyone and, as far as I know, I am now done with all my in-water stuff, actually. I did the R&R in a 3/2 wetsuit and I also got floaty with my rig off. It wasn't bad and I completed the exercise to an acceptable level. But, I did think to myself at the time that it would have been easier and "demoed" better if I were only wearing my swim trunks (or a weight belt).

Stuart, if you do wear a weight belt, you have to exchange that, as well. I will probably just try to do it in my board shorts.

Was just thinking; probably be best if both of us remove the BCD at the same time, put it on our knee, and when ready swapped at the same time, to minimize floating. I'll be watching a few videos before I do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom