Becoming a Master Diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

natalieee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So ever since i was a little girl iv always wanted to work with the ocean. than once i started diving i couldnt think of anything else to be other than a master and hopefully one day start my own diving charter. i was just wondering if anyone here has been able to start there own business and if its hard or not. i usually always talk to the masters when i go out and a lot say they have 2nd jobs. i was just wondering also where you would consider your best dive and what was the best animal you saw? Thanks!

also.. what are all the requirements needed before going pro?

I believe simply continuing your training including Rescue Diver then Dive Master would be the thing to do then the pieces will start falling together with the further exposure to dive professionals...

I am always happy to see turtles myself between WPB and Jupiter along with numerous other marine life...

Valhalla is right by directing you toward dive master. Master Diver is a way Padi has to sell specialty classes. One friend who became a Master Diver said, it was the most expensive backpack she had ever bought.

There are though master diver courses thru SEI and NAUI that are actually worth something. Don't limit yourself to one agency. Do some homework. PADI is not the only game in town. Big yes but big is not always better.what really counts is your students and the training they get. You are secondary to that.

Hi Nat,
If it was easy to open a dive charter, everyone would be doing it.
If it is something you really have a passion for and want to make happen, then it will.
My only regret in life is the fact I did not decide to do my instructors course till
I was 45. Just recently I have enrolled in a marine studies course as well as a course to train in Marine Archaeology.

Do your homework, you set your goal, work out the best way to get there, then go for it.

I point to Kevin with UnderWater Explorers as a role model for you. Rain, Shine Winter summer he rode that rusty bicycle to work for somebody else until he scraped enough together to start his own place. His reputation as a Dive master and as a man carried him along when it would have been impossible for a start up unknown.

I do not know how old you are but if you want to learn how it's done I say go do it. Get your DM then hit those party boats making saves every afternoon, helping 'divers' put on their gear and trying to keep them together and off the bottom.

You will need a second job. I do not see a easy way around that unless you can figure out how to make it on around 60- 80.00 a day on the good days and 15.00 on the slow ones in the winter.

Once you buy your own shop and boat.. well then the millions start rolling in like Grunion.

All good advice you're getting here Nat.
Set a goal, outline what steps are necessary to reach that goal and follow that path.
Don't stray from the path.
It's easy to get sidetracked.
DM's are recreational guides so don't get caught up in doing tech courses like caves, wrecks and super deep stuff.
First steps....AOW & Nitrox. You'll need both living and diving here in So. Fla.
Hang around the LDS, watch and see how things work and DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS.
Learn all you can from industry insiders.
Knowledge is a powerful tool.

Oh, almost forgot...... you have us as well.
The fine folks on Scubaboard are more than happy to give you advice.

There are alternative avenues for employment in the dive industry that do not involve baby sitting mostly sedentary middle aged tourists.

Repping for a brand will often give you ample opportunity to dive as well as connections in the industry.

Diving commercially as a hull scraper,pool cleaner,piling and bridge inspector,spearfisher etc....will pay more than DMs get.Lots more.Videographer, photographers get nice gigs too if they are top quality.Salvors spens a lot of time in the ater too.

Owning a charter does not always means lots of dive time for the boss as there are a lot of issues to be dealt with including marketing,scheduling,maintenance etc.. that eat time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom