Become part of DEMO for Freediving Fins vs. splits vs Jets vs Force Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danvolker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This will cost you only your time and your air :)

Visit Palm Beach....dive with me at the BHB Marine Park...I will get several models of split fins, also Jets, and DiveR freedive Fins, Mustang C4's....and even Extra Force Fins....all for you to try....I will shoot video....and we can show a real life demo.
An ideal place to run this demo, is under the span of bridge on the East side.....during the incoming tidal current....the water blasts in, and you can position yourself amongst the legs of the bridge--the pilings....which create very cool eddies to hide behind like a white water kayaker....and a scuba diver can hide behind one...then blast through the current to the next one...with only about 20 feet of sprinting to find the next eddy protection....the area is very interesting for the life in it, and it represents a technique that WRECK DIVERS need to use at challenging sites to move around structures out of the current. With the pilings/pillars as close to each other as they are, it should be easy to see and feel major differences between fins. And the video should show this easily. I would love to film this....and anyone else reading this, that would want to do this...chime in here, and let's set this up!!!!

[video=youtube_share;xaidWv0R-bo]http://youtu.be/xaidWv0R-bo[/video]

At around 4:21 into this, if you start here, you can see the area around the east side....and get some of the feel for the places you can be in an out of eddies with. Very repeatable, and fun..
Each of these leg structures can be hidden behind effectively in the tidal change...and on some days this current can be HUGE...often beyond what 90% of the divers can handle.....Perfect for proof of concept :)

If you want to do this, please respond, or even email me if you prefer not to make waves with your reply :)
dan@sfdj.com is the email address. We need to pick a time good for a bunch of us....say 4 to 6 divers willing to pick a good time and day in common...around 2 hours before a high tide.
Weekends or ok for me, as are many weekdays, if we plan this a few days out.

And I'm cheaper than both swimmer_spe and cmulvaney. I just need a flight! :wink:

Seriously though, I DO want to try open heel free dive fins. This event: Welcome to the Scuba and H2O Adventure Show!, is in Seattle in early April. I hope to be able to talk to someone about them.

If I am ever in your neighborhood Dan, and I don't yet have free diving fins, I'll look you up for a demo. Beers will be on me afterwards.

I will ride a bike, or come by Tri-Rail.
hows that for cheap?
LOL.
I Would like to participate.
I am thinking April?
The water is still relatively cool for such exertions.
I have always wanted to try Force Fins.
And while I am the worst Jet Fin/Rocket fin user in history, I might even be willing to give them a shot for comparison.

Chug
Has two pairs of a Jets in the garage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom