Beaver Lake Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cummings66

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, temps were not as high as I thought it might be, they ranged from 40 - 43 degree's at various depths. Surface air temps were in the mid 30's and light rain/mist and then clearing up for a bit.

Diving vis was at best 30 feet, varied though depending on the area you were at and whether it was silted up.

The best part, I didn't get soaked in the DUI CLx 450 suit, the wrist seal on the first dive leaked a bit due to old seals. The dry glove dive was indeed dry. It's the first time in 3 years I've been dry during the DUI Rally, and I really did like the CLx 450 suit.

It was also the first time I got put in timeout.

Long story short, for some reason they forgot that Kevin, Bill and myself are drysuit certified and so we dove on our own. After we got back they said you're in timeout and at first I thought they were joking. I mean who ever heard of an adult diver being put in timeout. After a short discussion we determined they thought were didn't hold certs, even though the first dive they knew we did.

It was a humerous twist to the diving, I kind of enjoyed being put into timeout. At any rate it was the last dive with their suits and we used our own to dive the Bluff's/Steps and saw some nice things there.

Tomorrow we'll do the pontoon boat trip in the morning and then it's time to head home, should be a good morning at any rate.

Glad to hear that everything there went well. Except for the timout I guess. That is pretty funny. I wish I could have been there although I know that would push me over the edge and take me to the darkside of diving dry. Have fun on the boat.

Phil

So the Scuba Police DO exist...:police:

I'll confirm the rumor, only they wait for you at the shore. No flashing lights either, they're kind of in disguise and catch you unaware.

Be careful out there...

Just got back home today after doing a couple more dives with C&J and I've got to say that the dives of today in the Cove and Lawrence's Bluff were some of the best dives I've done in the lakes down south, in particular the Bluff dive was nice.

Jim says they've got even better dives, I can't wait to see them. Outside air temps were descent as well, it made for a much nicer dive experience.

P.S.

It wasn't a pontoon boat, that apparently has problems. We used a normal boat config with back entry technique, a bit crowded but more fun IMO.

So YOU were the culprits who caused them to look at my C cards. I laughed pretty hard at them when she started to see my cards. Cheryl gave me the "well, I guess you're certified now aren't you." My reply was: "I certainly hope that someone holding an Advanced OW Instructor C card was at least OW certified, but who knows these days."

I also dove the CLx450 today (sunday) and they had new seals on many of the suits. Great suit, but it is quite possible that many people will need some level of customizing on them if/when a purchase is made. The nice aspect of DUI DOG Rally is that they are not supposed to talk sales at the event. It is strictly learn, dive, love.

Temp and vis specifics at Beaver: on the North side of dam site park the vis was washed due to incoming winds and diver traffic. On the South side of dam site park the vis was roughly 20-25 ft until 50ft, then opened up to 20-35 depending on depth down to 70ft; temps were 54 at surface w/ 42 at 70ft (comfy in dry suit).

Helicopter Cove had the typical 10-20ft vis w/ 54 degrees at surface, at the stacked boats it was down to 15ft or so w/ 52 degrees at 25ft, the vis started to open back up at the helicopter to 20ft w/ 50 degrees, the chainsaws really opened up to 25-30ft w/ 47 degrees at roughly 45ft, the 2nd (deeper of the 2) Piper w/ broken wing had amazing vis of 35-40ft vis w/ 43 degrees at 60ft.

I had a rude awakening at Helicopter cove, had 2700-2800 psi in the tank, but at 25 ft it shot right to 1700psi due to the temperature changes and that didn't last long! BUT I did manage to get some video of the helicopter and the 1st Piper Cub. Wishing I had the air to get vid on the 2nd one, the vis was that good even though I was shaking a bit from the cold in a 5mm wetsuit.

Here's a couple of pics to show you what you missed out on.

FYI, the chainsaws are in helicpoter cove. Must be something said about Craftsman chainsaws since the one on the left is just that!

Matthew, did you guys get down to the 2nd plane in the cove (60ft)? The visability there was awesome! Wish I had enough air at that point to video that particular plane with it so clear.

Attachments

• duisurface.JPG
    duisurface.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 57
  • chainsaws.JPG
    chainsaws.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 72
Stoney, put some vids up!!! We'll put them on our site too if you would like!

I'm working on a Beaver Lake compilation. Otherwise all I have are clips of the 1st Piper and the helicopter from Sunday (so far!). Once we get another warm break, I'll head back down and dive the cove again to get the 2nd plane. Since my camera does clips in 2 minute increments, I may just try to video "clip" the entire cove w/ short breaks between objects.

What kind of vid camera do you have? I am going to try out our new Sony N2 in an underwater housing with a 2 GB memory card...

diverdown247:
Matthew, did you guys get down to the 2nd plane in the cove (60ft)? The visability there was awesome! Wish I had enough air at that point to video that particular plane with it so clear.

Yea, we got down to the bigger plane also. But the best part of the dive in the cove was the Manequin, it would definitely spook you if you came across it & didn't know it was there.

I agree with Matt on the Lawrence Bluff dive, best dive I've had @ Beaver Lake (Tks to Tim from Ft Smith that led us)

Kevin, Bill, Steve, Robb, Matt...good diving with you guys, we'll have to do it again.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom