Beaver Lake Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Had a FANTASTIC set of dives at the Dam site bluff's of the 4TH of July holiday! Viz from 20-35 ft was ok at first with 15 it would go way down to 5 when the boats really got the water moving. droping below 50ft the viz opened way up to 25 with a lot of light! water temp's are 78 at the surface, 68 down to thirty and 46 deep into the hundred's.
The statues are easy to spot and find, I took a lot of photo's and marked them as I went.
From the sail boat I could look down and make out the cliff that has the white alligator so I took a series of photos showing the great viz!
GOPR0040.jpgGOPR0041.jpgGOPR0042.jpgGOPR0043.jpgGOPR0044.jpgGOPR0045.jpgGOPR0046.jpgGOPR0047.jpg Even down to 120ft you have lots of light and easy waters to navigate. I did have my dive light but never turned it on what a great dive!
GOPR0038.jpgI was also told about a diver memorial that had been placed for one who was lost during a dive trip. Once again easy to find sitting at a depth of 55ft next to a bluff. What a great piece of art work to a fallen friend. GOPR0002.jpgGOPR0003.jpgGOPR0004.jpgGOPR0005.jpgGOPR0006.jpgGOPR0007.jpgGOPR0008.jpgGOPR0009.jpgGOPR0010.jpg

Attachments

• GOPR0031.jpg
    GOPR0031.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 170
  • GOPR0022.jpg
    GOPR0022.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 171
Neat to see. Wonder just how large that white alligator statue is? Looks good from a distance. I would imagine that involved some expense.

Your report makes me think of the Tennessee Aquarium at Chattanooga. If you're ever up that way, well worth a visit. It has a series of aquariums and the path winds down different stories of the building. The huge Lake Nickajack tank is the one you make me think of. 1st you pass the top level, oh, 10 feet maybe. Then you swing around view other tanks, and come around to see the next depth layer. Later, you swing down to see the bottom. What interests me is, most of the turtles and the majority of the fish stick to the top layer. Some really large fish come to the middle layer (the tank has some whoppers; blue catfish, paddlefish, gar...), and then not so much at the bottom.

In southwestern KY, the local quarry (Pennyroyal Blue Springs Resort) gets down around 120 to 130 feet deep. Up top, bluegill and small to medium catfish beg for handouts. But down deep, maybe 80+ feet (?), I sometimes see a dead fish on the bottom. Evidently nobody's willing to go down there and scavenge it. It is around 45 degrees down there, though...

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom