Beaver Lake 9/15 Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdown247

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, it seems that yet another toy has been added to Helicopter Cove AND the connecting lines have been changed a bit as well. There is now a Tigershark jet ski shell sunk between the stacked boats and the helicopter.

Cloud cover, storm front moving in, slight wind
Air temp: 67 degrees
Surf temp: 70 degrees
@ 30ft: 60-65 degrees
vis @ 30ft: 15-20ft and opening gradually with depth
@ 70ft: 47-50 degrees
vis @ 70ft: 20ft+ w/o a light

Folks, this was an absolutely wonderful weekend to dive Beaver! The vis was 20 ft+ on Saturday! Minimal green hue to the water as well. Check out the clarity of these pics!!! The video clips are even BETTER! I'll get them posted on scubavids and post up the link.

Attachments

• dave-ped.JPG
    dave-ped.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 107
  • ski.JPG
    ski.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 106
  • wrangler.JPG
    wrangler.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 90
DiverDown247:

I would like to thank DiverDown and Mike for the entire Beaver Lake Trip, ScubaBoard for helping me to meet the abovementioned divers, (Also I thank my family, my agent, Durex, OJ and Britanny for all of the obvious reasons). DD247 is a great instructor/dive guide-I can recommend him without reservation for anyone near to the Ozark Region seeking to further their scuba education or seeking a nice Ozark Lake/River Dive Excursion. I am ready to begin my new career as the world's ugliest dive model (see pic above, fleep on a scooter).

My first lake dive was an unqualified success! I lake like diving alot :p Helicopter Cove was a great playground, and I really enjoyed the sheer drop off near the foundations! Vis was real nice, temp was comfortable, and we basically had the lake to ourselves. WoooHooo!

DD247, thanks again. I will dive with you anytime, just give me a call or a SB message. I hope you weren't serious about trying to focus on your academia and not diving for the next months-Heck, if there are enough fish at least you could say you were in a school....

angel on your sholder - "do your homework! study!"
fleep - "gasconade river? Current River? Mermet Dog Days on Oct 6-7? eh? hm?"

TalkYa Soon,
Fleep (< - - - - - - - - -

Shar and I are gonna try to go either Friday or Saturday. Where is Helicopter Cove in relation to the Bluffs or the dam ?

Kind of difficult to explain from the bluffs or the dam, but I'll try. I believe the dam runs N/S. If that is so, then you head South around the point and Dam Site Park (if you put in there). You will see another small power substation along the shore, just past that is the cove you want (if it's not below C&J then it's the next one). The very next cove should be a boat dock. Easiest way I can tell you is it is the cove DIRECTLY below C&J Dive Shop when facing it from the lake.

To be honest, if you are at the Foundation site it is easier to find as you can turn toward C&J (easily seen atop the hill) and follow the hillside straight down to the cove. Once in the cove you will see a Gatorade bottle floating in about 25-30 ft of water. That is the stacked boats. You can tie off to a tree if there is no wind or you can anchor as needed. We usually use the line tied to the boats/bottle as a descent/ascent line since most of us are familiar with our bouyancy.

If you put in at Indian Creek, just shoot past the south end of Dam Site Park and head toward the Foundation site. Once near there, look for C&J (repeated as above).

Use this link to a map and zoom in: http://www.beaverlakefrontcabins.com/images/lrgimage/lgmap.jpg

C&J is on 187 between the dam and where Mundell Rd meets 187.

Thanks. Didn't realize that this would require a boat. We'll probably play around the bluffs again this weekend or maybe over in Indian Creek.
Thanks again.

Kind of difficult to explain from the bluffs or the dam, but I'll try. I believe the dam runs N/S. If that is so, then you head South around the point and Dam Site Park (if you put in there). You will see another small power substation along the shore, just past that is the cove you want (if it's not below C&J then it's the next one). The very next cove should be a boat dock. Easiest way I can tell you is it is the cove DIRECTLY below C&J Dive Shop when facing it from the lake.

To be honest, if you are at the Foundation site it is easier to find as you can turn toward C&J (easily seen atop the hill) and follow the hillside straight down to the cove. Once in the cove you will see a Gatorade bottle floating in about 25-30 ft of water. That is the stacked boats. You can tie off to a tree if there is no wind or you can anchor as needed. We usually use the line tied to the boats/bottle as a descent/ascent line since most of us are familiar with our bouyancy.

If you put in at Indian Creek, just shoot past the south end of Dam Site Park and head toward the Foundation site. Once near there, look for C&J (repeated as above).

Use this link to a map and zoom in: http://www.beaverlakefrontcabins.com/images/lrgimage/lgmap.jpg

C&J is on 187 between the dam and where Mundell Rd meets 187.

Are you sure that's C & J you can see, or is it Point West?

Positive it's C&J. I've been dreaming of the day they install a ski lift from the site across from their dive shop down to that particular cove becuase of its relative location.

I'm going to Joplin MO. the weekend of the 29th to do some diving. I have heard good things about Beaver Lake. I hope to go there Sunday or Monday and dive a few days. I've never been there before. Any info, directions, dive shop info woulkd be great. When not in the water is there any sights that I need to see while I am in the area? I like to eat at the local mom and pops places, not the big chain resturants. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. tocooper@msn.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom