Beaver lake 6/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdown247

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Daytripping to Beaver lake Saturday 6/28. Will be with Mike from Aqua F/X and Dwayne. Drop a line (or float a buoy if you like) if you're free to meet up.

Not sure why I posted Saturday 6/28. It's actually Wednesday 6/28.

But for those interested, Mike will be at Beaver Lake over this weekend 6/24 +6/25.

Vis Update for Beaver:

At the foundation: foundation is in roughly 8 feet of water. Easily seen from the boat. In fact, I could see some of the pennies around the steps today.

At the bus (follow the tether from the foundation roughly 3 degrees): bus is in 30 ft of water. Vis is about 15-20 feet until you get to the bus. Then it starts to drop to about 10-15 feet. Go past the bus and the vis is worse.

The 200 ft drop off (due west from the foundation): Vis is about 20-25 feet depending on depth. At 60 ft, it started to get dark. Any deeper and you'll want a light. Be prepared for a hooded 5mil+ wetsuit or drysuit dive after 50 ft. CAUTION: the drop off is nearly straight down and goes to 200+, not a dive for rookies.

At the bluffs: Vis was roughly 20 feet in the shallows, opening up to 30 feet toward the 2nd and 3rd points when heading east. Close to the 3rd point in roughly 20 ft of water is the lawn jockey, near that is the big chief statue in 18 ft of water. The vis will begin to diminish toward the 3rd point, so starting at the shallows to the west is better. Temps will drop quickly around 50 ft and again at 60 ft.

At the platform/car/boat (near Indian Point boat ramp): Vis was 15 ft due to boat traffic in this area. Toward the car, vis will open up briefly, then quickly close again. The same for the boat.

Productive day of diving. Found everything we were out to find on the dives. Returned on 1st dive w/ 2 cents, on 2nd dive w/ a Pelican Super Sabrelight (works fine) and a dime, 3rd dive w/ a blue Cressi snorkel fin and a dive knife (happens to be a dive buddies knife - wonder what it's going to cost him to get it back). Thanks for the dives this week Dwayne, I had a good time.

You are totally right about the drop off. Plus do not forget to warn people about the trees that are near the cliffs, if not keeping an eye out will land on one or have a branch come out and grab you. It is a good dive and my dive buddy and I did our AOW there 17 and 18. Wish I could of gone again but the family comes first.

Floridawannabe:
Plus do not forget to warn people about the trees that are near the cliffs, if not keeping an eye out will land on one or have a branch come out and grab you..

Good thought. Many of the trees at the drop off (look really eery, like watching a Titanic special) are riddled with fishing line, be sure to take a dive knife (preferably a sharp one) just in case.

Back
Top Bottom