Beautiful Poseidon BeSea - anyone have this BC???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmWaterDiver:
The Plus / minus summaries at the end of the equipment reviews in this magazine are where I find the quick info for strengths and weaknesses. And, this reviewer does like the BP/W style stuff for BC - if you go back a ways in his reviews, so this may color his judgement more than how the rig fit his Swedish dive guide!

I read a few reviews... he doesn't like Halcyon stuff but DiveRite seems to be okay. After reading the his positive comments and positive pros/cons about the Mares HUB, I have little use for that reviewer anymore.

Don Janni:
I read the review. At first I thought the reviewer didn't like it at all. Then I read a few more of his BC reviews and discovered he doesn't seem like much of anything. Of those I read (5) he lavished the most praise, and that's a stretch, on the Zeagle Tech Pac BC.

You're looking at Bantin's reviews. He's a running joke in many circles...especially tech. I do like the blonde model he used for the BC though. Grrrrh. X

I have this BeSea. I posted several reviews already. This is th emost comfortable BC for those that need to do any tye of on land movement fully suited up. The harness is designed to support the weight on your hips like a backpack. It is amazing, you don't feel like your have a tank on. While this is less of a plus while in water, the out of water capabilities of this BESea takes the weight off your shoulders, and allows you to easily make difficult entries and exits.

Wait a minute; this is exactly how I feel walking steel doubles bolted to my backplate.
Diving is all about comfort after all, isn’t it?
Disregard please.
I don’t know anything.

your blackplate is still attached to a webbed harness, and while you are supporting some of the weight on your hips, your web harness was not designed to do such. I am sure much of the weih is still on your shoulders and back. Now I could be wrong, as I have not used a backplae and webbing. However, on my BESea I can undo the shoulder straps and still support the tank. The waist belt is design is based on a backpack concept.

I beleive your harness and backplate probably provide a very secure feeling, which translate in to the comfort you feel. I am not sure if the design of the back plate and webbing can provide the same level of support as the Posedion BeSea does with its harnessn design.

At the end of the day, to each their own. I feel one should dive with what they are most comfortable in.

herman:
Thought I reconized that BC, it's hard to miss with all the flashy colors and huge bladder. Had to bring a OOA newbie up off the Speigal Grove the other weekend in one.
Was the BC the cause of the OOA or the newbie divers skill that caused the OOA?

I have a Besea W50 as a warm water rig or for dives that require a hike. I prefer my bp/w with doubles in the cold water. I have dove the W50 in cold water and found that 2 ruberized 5 pound weights on the upper tank straps gives me trim like my bp/w with a single tank. All the extra buckles and clips can be frustrating when using dry gloves. Like when I released my integrated weight when donning the BC at the truck. There are more failure points to monitor compared to the bp/w but I do like it overall.

DrDuktayp

Another positive review for W50. But take it with a grain of salt, this is the only the second BCD that I have used. I used a jacked style BCD for my open water class last year. I did not like all the mass in front of body and thought I would prefer a rear inflate BCD. My LDS had a besea W50 on a display and I really liked the versatility of the equipment. I am new to the sport but felt that this piece of equipment could grow with me. You can add a back plate to rig which will accommodate doubles and get the buoyancy close to neutral (+/- a little).

I have so far been impressed with the quality. At 20 dives 2/3 of which have been salt water I have seen no deterioration or peeling of the labels as mentioned above. The inflation valve has a real solid feel to it. The double tank bands really clench down, and I have had no problems with the tank slipping, even without wetting the bands prior.

My only negative comment thus far was that the pull stings on the rear dumps were to long. On my first few dives I had a little trouble dumping. I found it difficult to find and grab the plastic knobs with 5mm gloves on. I simple retied the string a little closer to the valve and have not had a problem since.

I also had to make a minor modification to the inflator hose. Originally I hade the hose tucked under the Velcro strap on my left shoulder. In this configuration it was difficult to raise the hose above my head to dump. I found myself having to get vertical, or rolling onto my back in order to dump air. Pulling down on the inflator hose was also ineffective unless the wing was fully inflated.

To remedy the problem I tied a noose with some shock cord and ran it through two of the stainless steel eyelets below the Velcro on the left shoulder. The noose allows me to move the attachment location on the corrugated hose up and down, and the shock cord keeps the whole thing in close predictable location while allowing enough stretch for me to get the whole thing near vertical above my head.

I currently have been using a weight belt with solid lead. Anyone have any comments about using the integrated weight pockets?

Nautical Dreamer:
Another positive review for W50. But take it with a grain of salt, this is the only the second BCD that I have used. I used a jacked style BCD for my open water class last year. I did not like all the mass in front of body and thought I would prefer a rear inflate BCD. My LDS had a besea W50 on a display and I really liked the versatility of the equipment. I am new to the sport but felt that this piece of equipment could grow with me. You can add a back plate to rig which will accommodate doubles and get the buoyancy close to neutral (+/- a little).

I have so far been impressed with the quality. At 20 dives 2/3 of which have been salt water I have seen no deterioration or peeling of the labels as mentioned above. The inflation valve has a real solid feel to it. The double tank bands really clench down, and I have had no problems with the tank slipping, even without wetting the bands prior.

My only negative comment thus far was that the pull stings on the rear dumps were to long. On my first few dives I had a little trouble dumping. I found it difficult to find and grab the plastic knobs with 5mm gloves on. I simple retied the string a little closer to the valve and have not had a problem since.

I also had to make a minor modification to the inflator hose. Originally I hade the hose tucked under the Velcro strap on my left shoulder. In this configuration it was difficult to raise the hose above my head to dump. I found myself having to get vertical, or rolling onto my back in order to dump air. Pulling down on the inflator hose was also ineffective unless the wing was fully inflated.

To remedy the problem I tied a noose with some shock cord and ran it through two of the stainless steel eyelets below the Velcro on the left shoulder. The noose allows me to move the attachment location on the corrugated hose up and down, and the shock cord keeps the whole thing in close predictable location while allowing enough stretch for me to get the whole thing near vertical above my head.

I currently have been using a weight belt with solid lead. Anyone have any comments about using the integrated weight pockets?

Kind of interesting this thread came up again because about 3 weeks ago we dove the Oriskany and the Captain of our boat, a YMCA Instructor, Tech Diver and Spear Fisherman and his daughter, the Deck Hand and Dive Master both used BeSea W50's.

They were quite happy with them and being that I was in the market for a new BC I gave 'em a real thorough going over. Excellent Swiss workmanship. Both used the Integrated weight system from Poseidon.

Check 'em out sometime.... Viking Diving out of Pensacola.

Hmmm....I'm pretty happy with my Eclipse 30. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom