Beach diving off of Vero Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope to see both Joe and Hilary there next month. Now, I must know Jibeho... Who could it be?

The visibility off the beach in Vero is generally less than 18 inches. When I lived there for around 4 yrs, whenever the vis was 5 feet or more I would be diving, usually for lobsters and usually at night. I did many dives in visibilty of 3 ft or so. The visibility can open up to 12-15 ft for a week or so at a time and I have seen 30 ft visibility but it is very rare.

You have to watch the beach like a hawk and be ready to dive whenever it is clear, often a window will open up for 24 hours or less. You might get 60 days per year that have what I consider to be divable conditions (5-20 ft vis).

I have caught big lobsters off the beach there. You should also be warned that very large tiger sharks are present, particularly in summer when the turtles are laying eggs. About 5 yrs ago a boy swimming at the public beach was devoured by a tiger leaving only portions of a torso and femurs with little tissue left.

I always put speared fish in a raft and never speared at night.

This is fun! Love hearing about it..well except the tiger shark but I like to hope that I'll not have to face that. Tigers are mean...really the only6 foot shark that scares me. Hunting is something that really interests me but haven't got into it just yet...but someday.

Anyway...well I will look forward to seeing some of you at the Down Under meeting.

I'm moving on June 21, btw. Moving truck is scheduled for 8 am. That means if I get to Vero about noon, i could be in the water around 2 pm? Just kidding...but...it's a nice thought. I have landed in Long Beach, CA for work before, picked up my rental, and driven straight to Palos Verdes for a shore dive at 2 pm. 6 foot swells kept me on the shore tho..darn it. Thanks everyone for the input!! :flowerkit

I dive Pepper park whenever the winds are from the west and the vis is decent! I am willing to go whenever I am off work.

ScubaDad- PM me I got some VERY interesting info about our last dive day and the "youths" we saw cruising around that day....

Scuba_Dad:
Hope to see both Joe and Hilary there next month. Now, I must know Jibeho... Who could it be?

Hank to club members:mooner:

DennisW:
Jibeho,

Where in Sebastian? We need to get together and go diving.

Live in the Highlands. Going diving in the AM out of Jupiter, hope it is warmer this weekend.

Jibeho:
Hank to club members:mooner:
:lol:

OK... See you next month...:mooner:

Hank,

I'll try to make the Down Under Dive Club meeting in July. I live in Collier Club next to the airport. See you next month.

DennisW:
Hank,

I'll try to make the Down Under Dive Club meeting in July. I live in Collier Club next to the airport. See you next month.

Dennis,
Looking forward to meeting you. Be sure to introduce yourself, so I can say Hi.

The July meeting is our annual ice cream social. So, it's more of a social gathering than our standard meeting. There are several SB members in DUDC... Some post frequently, and some are lurkers...

Talon is the President.
FlDiveJunkie is the former president and newsletter editor.
Bobsea43 is the Vice President
I'm the safety officer...
:lol:

So, it will be like old home week...

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom