Beach Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FSU_KURT

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good beach dives in the Tallahassee/Bigbend area? The local springs are getting a little old. Thanks

Why does it have to be a beach dive? They do have commercial dive charters?

Beach dives I have made earlier this spring with good success were the Destin Jetties, Navarre Beach old fishing pier, Pensecola Beach Rocks, just east of the Pensecola Fishing Pier. N

Not everyone wants to spend money every weekend on charters.

Aside from what was listed above, St Andrews Jetties(PCB) can be fun. I've heard of people diving at Port St Joe in some lagoon or bay or something? I think its mostly a snorkel thing, but I've heard divers looking around as well.

Superbugman's and my dive at navarre pier was an experiance not to be forgotton. I know now that if the flag is yellow the surf's too ruff.

One of the dives I made at Navarre was with a yellow flag, the longshore current was fairly strong. I launched my Ocean Kayak for surface support. While I towed it out as I went under the surf I put it to good use on the return. I would not have been able to return against the current without it resulting in a long walk. Viz was rather good once out to the end of the pier. I, because I had the kayak for support, had no fear to venture out well beyond the end of the pier. There was a sand wall with some nice deceased sand dollars, I took a couple. N

When fmw and I attempted the dive, the visibility seemed to clear up after the sandbar as well. I still think we could have had a great dive had the surf not gotten in the way. Our other pair of divers made it past the break but let themselves drift east in the longshore current while we attempted breaking through the surf. Once they walked back to our position, they were ready to call.

I'd try it again under the same conditions, but I wouldn't complain if it were a bit easier :)

You know and please don't see this the wrong way but sometimes going alone or just one other person reduces complication. Also, I dd not use a BC and of course I used one of my several double hose regulators. I had no diffuculty manuvering to go under the surf because I was so light and streamlined. I used my Super Jet fins because I knew I needed the power to drag the kayak. I had considered boarding the kayak but at the last minute decided to drag it and go under the surf.
On the way back in I had to paddle up current to return to the launch site, I surfed in which was quite fun but --now--getting out of a loacded kayak in surf--well--I have not yet mastered that. I broke an important rule and got shoreward of the yak and a wave rammed it into my leg bruising the heck out of it enough it oozed blood. Other than that it was a successful dive.
Your right, the viz increased beyond the bar. The day I had gone out as I patrolled the area for parking and recon the yellow flag was not out. By the time I had returned with my gear--yellow flag!!! Oh well, it was not any different from many shore dives in California where the surf is generally larger than that, but of longer period.

Reduce the amount of stuff you carry, if your using a surface float or kayak do you really need a BC? Anyways, it really helps me to be light and streamlined.

Good luck, I really enjoyed my dives there. N

SuPrBuGmAn:
Not everyone wants to spend money every weekend on charters.

Aside from what was listed above, St Andrews Jetties(PCB) can be fun. I've heard of people diving at Port St Joe in some lagoon or bay or something? I think its mostly a snorkel thing, but I've heard divers looking around as well.

If you are speaking of st. joseph bay the snorkeling there is great. not much of a reason to scuba though, the water is very shallow. I highly recommend snorkeling in eagle harbour inside the state park. rent a pontoon boat some time and spend a day on the bay. abundant marine life thrives in this ocean nursery.
If anyone has any info on any real diving in this immediate area i would be interested

Chris Reeves

I have no first hand experience in Port St Joe or any of the bay's around it, yet. I was just told by a friend of mine that she like snorkeling there and has seen divers on many occasions. I say yet, because she has a beach house there this weekend and I'll be visiting :) but only bringing snorkel gear.

Nemrod:
You know and please don't see this the wrong way but sometimes going alone or just one other person reduces complication. Also, I dd not use a BC and of course I used one of my several double hose regulators.

Good luck, I really enjoyed my dives there. N

I know alot of people solo, and do it safely, maybe more safely than having to dive and look after another. I preffer to dive with buddies, even if it means not doing the dive. Just a choice I made when getting certified.

I've never dived without a BC or contemporary regulators. The equipment looks neat, and fun, but I've never used them and have no plans to buy any.

The dive looks fun, I'll be back to try it again soon enough :)

"I've never dived without a BC or contemporary regulators. The equipment looks neat, and fun, but I've never used them and have no plans to buy any. ""

I would not expect you would but you can dive without a BC and still use modern regulators, try it sometime in the pool and see for yourself. Not having a BC is not the problem many think it is. They are not life jackets, they are bouyancy compensators, if you don't need to compensate your bouyancy then you don't need one--follow that? Not having a BC does not mean you don't have a suasage and in my case a 15 foot long Ocean Kayak in bright green with a CG approved Type II life jacket on board and all of it being towed just above me in addition to the sausage and an inflatible safety float all rolled away on my person. Solo or not, beach diving unlike boat diving where it can come get you requires one to be able to self rescue.

As to solo, again, I was not telling you to solo but to possibly consider limiting the numbers of people in your group or splitting them up. That way you may get your dive in. The more people in the group--and I assume if one turns back all are supposed to--then the fewer the divers in the group the more likely you are to complete your dive.

Just applying old fashioned logic to a different way of doing things that works really, really well once you think out of the box.

I spent a whole summer back when I was a school teacher, summers off ya know, beach diving in California and living in the back of my truck--lol--there most divers are beach divers, in Florida most divers are boat divers (or spring/cave) so go figure. Sure miss those kelp forests for sure. Talk about some challenging entry and exist points, they got big waves there!!! It was there I first understood the value of a kayak or surfboard as surface support. I also sometimes use a big inner tube surface float but more oftren use that in lakes or rivers.

Anyways, enough of that. Good luck, hope you get those beach dives in. Maybe when the ice caps melt in a few years if Goron is right we will have some great beach diving down in Florida among all the new condo reefs!!!! Looking forward to it actually, is the glass half full or half empty. N

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom