Be weary of seven gill sharks !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually really enjoy seeing most of the common sharks in our area. Fear is not really a factor for me, I really enjoy going on night dives as well and seeing these animals.Perhaps you are misinterpreting my intention.

I hope that you can understand that I am going by the statements the oceanography student Oliver who made to the NZ press. I am just posting what I believed was an actual incident that had occurred.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

I guess I am misinterpreting your intentions, I took it for granted you were watching the videos you are posting and commenting on.

One word, one wary word for each and all of you weary souls:
Sharknado

For all of you that are of afraid of sharks-all you have to do is go diving with me and your guaranteed not to see any cool sea life! Just let me know, looking for a few new dive buddies anyway!

it seems obvious to me why the sharks are acting so aggressively..... some of the divers are wearing split fins, and as many here will tell you...

YOU'RE GONNA DIE IF YOU WEAR SPLITS!!!!

But seriously, it looks to me that the divers are poling the sharks when the sharks are making passes. To me, and I am by no means an expert, the sharks are the ones being attacked.

No, no, no, you got it all wrong. It's not the splits it's the paddles deflecting the electrons from those wireless sensors used by some to monitor their air pressure. It seems it deflects the sine wave in a circular motion that sets the sharks into a feeding frenzy.

---------- Post added July 14th, 2015 at 09:46 PM ----------

I thought that if you split your fins you can swim twice as fast?? It is like having 2 fins on each foot...
Can I spit my Jet Fins with a scissor? :D

How about a SP Nova split fin hybrid? There's a good idea for R&D...
Finally, someone with some science to explain why they are so fast. What if you cut them twice (would you call them trips) or if you did 3 cuts (quips).

That's what I was thinking! Sharks are looking for the weakest link in order to cull the heard. It's their job to take out all the split finners! :D :D :D

But, yeah, that was a totally manufactured non-event. Here's a better clip to watch: The Daily Shark Feed with Georgienne Bradley | Shark Week | Discovery

OK I think I want to rename this post :

Be wary of the anti split fin crowd they are on a feeding frenzy. I better watch out "cause I love my splits"!!!!

In South Africa at the Cape Ton Dive Festival2014 there was an indecent where a juvenile male 7 gill shark bit a diver on the shoulder. the shark reportedly showed aggressive behavior from the start of the dive and circled the buddy team 4 times before biting. This is the only indecent in Cape Town on scuba that I am aware of. I was not on the boat for that dive so I can not attest to the divers behavior in the water, only an observation being the first boat to arrive on the scene after the attack, that there was a strong smell in the water at the time and what appeared to be fish oil on the surface of the sea.

Otherwise divers dive with these sharks 5 times a week an estimate of 20-30 divers per day and this is the only recorded incident i am aware of.

One word, one wary word for each and all of you weary souls:
Sharknado
Dude, Sharknado III "Oh, hell no" is due out on the twentieth of this month. One of the fill ins is Greg Holt of Scubaradio.

I've dived with 7-gills dozens of times in Cape Town. Never seen any aggressive behaviour. Remind me of the tarpons in Bonaire on night dives. They hang behind and grab at molluscs exposed under rocks. Yes, they're big but I've never felt threatened.

Dude, Sharknado III "Oh, hell no" is due out on the twentieth of this month. One of the fill ins is Greg Holt of Scubaradio.

You sit and watch SciFi for two days, I'll come by on the 22nd and we can both watch Greg trying to look... Well, I don't know.

According to the Googles, the 22nd is the big day.

I must go take my pills now so I can calm down for an additional 7 days.

Woefully weary of wary wily Woebegong Sharkses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom