BC's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well we can but try

please tell us how you get on with it (if you do decide do purchase) as i would be interested to know

good luck

I just purchased a Sea Quest Diva LX. Absolutely love it. I was able to try a friends out first. She has a size medium. Felt a little loose in the shoulders so I purchased a Sea Quest Libra instead because it has a sternum strap. When I used it I could not believe how much I missed the Diva! So I exchanged the Libra for a Diva size small. Wow! It has extra spine padding, a lumbar support pad, key pocket, great integrated weight system. Doesn't move at all under water. Stays put! What a pleasure to use especially if you do shore entrance dives and have to walk with all that weight. It's pricey but I'm spoiled now.

Hi Anne,

I am really glad to see you found a BC that suits your needs and that you love so much. I thought I was happy with the one I was using, but after all the great things I have been hearing about weight integrated systems, I am now thinking about getting a new BD myself.

Wish me luck.

Cheers,

After reading the above posts, I thought I would add my experience. I am a plus size, so I feared the fit would be difficult. I went with a Zeagle Ranger BC with small shoulders and a large jacket. Zeagles have interchangeable parts, which allow a custom fit, so it takes a little while to try different variations, but in the end, it was worth it. I have to wear a LOT of weights to sink in cold water with a full 7mm wetsuit, etc, and the Ranger is rated at 44lb lift capacity, so it is sufficient for my needs. It has integrated pockets, which I like. The only bad side is that my rig is very heavy when it is fully loaded with the weights.

I have a friend who is a retired scuba instructor, and when she recently bought a new BC, she didn't even purchase the integrated pockets, because she had done all of her diving with a weight belt, and just never considered changing her routine, even though she had bought the integrated BC. Well, for some reason,she decided to give it a try, and she was an instant convert! She really liked the freedom of having the weights in the jacket, rather than on her hips. So my suggestion is, give it a try, you might like it!

Hi Kik,

Thank you for the information. It is always nice to hear another perspective on things. I noticed that in the description of the DIR system at DIR/Quest that they mention using a back-mounted buoyancy compensator and you mentioned wings. I was wondering what the difference is.

Thanks for the information.

Cheers,

I use a Seaquest Black Diamond BC. Back flotation, weight-integrated. Wore out one Black Diamond and bought another one, I liked it so much.

I use a DUI weight harness (10 lbs) along with the weight integration (16 lbs). Putting all the weight into the BC made me top heavy. By splitting the weight, I can now get around perfectly balanced and in any swimming position I desire.

I dive year-round in water temps from 37º and up. Right now, it's ranging from the low 50s to the high 60s. This is off the coast of NJ, BTW. Drysuit territory. And I LOVE it!!!!

I use a Dacor Flyte pak bcd. It is back inflated and the integrated weights are more to the side and back. There is no chest strap. It's more of a harness. To keep it from pushing me forward at the surface I added keel weights to the strap that attaches the tank. (ankle weights make perfect keel weights) The ankle weights I use are integrated. They have little barbells that fit into a flat velcro strap so they lie flat and tight to the tank. At the surface I can easily be in an upright position and underwater I am horizontal. Underwater it doesn't even feel like I have one on. No restrictions like with the vest type. For weights I bought shot lead (little beads). Weighed out the amount I needed, put it in plastic bags and then made small material bags to put them in. I made up two sets each of weight bags from 1 pound each to 5 pounds each so I can adjust the weights equally on each side depending on the conditions I dive in. The little bags slide right into the weight pockets. I get the shot for about a buck a pound so if I have to dump the weights it's no big deal. The most expensive part would be the pockets the weights go in. The bcd also has a 50 lb lift.

I did a quick read through on this one and I wonder, has nauifins73 purchased your BC yet? What did you decide? Since I'm only about 5 months late on this thread, thought I'd share my thoughts anyway. I purchased an Oceanic Tour Bioflex BC W/an integrated weight system last year and I love it. The new BC's allow room for our bosom which make diving so much more comfortable & and the integrated weight system is a dream to me.

I tried several different BCs through rentals and discovered what didn't work for me. I'm a 'vertically challenged' woman and am quite short from shoulder to waist. Weight belts always ended up under the BC because the BC was too long to fit me. It was uncomfortable to say the least! I also fought really distressing squeeze from mal-fitted, front inflation vests.

When I bought my equipment, I fell in love with the Isla. It's comfortable, has weight integration and enough lift to do the job for me. The inflation is on the back, so no squeeze and the adjustments make it fit just right.

Try renting different kinds to see what works (or doesn't). When you're ready to buy, don't SETTLE... get what feels best and will do the job for you in whatever kind of diving you plan.

Good luck and happy diving!

My Wife uses a Scubapro Classic (I do too). I've asked her if she wants to try something else and she wants to keep the Classic. It's not designed specifically for women, but for me, it's the top of the line. In any case, go with an AIR2 for an alternate air source.

Thanks, Ken

Back
Top Bottom