BCs...Wings, Things and cells, and plates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ddown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
:bonk:

OK here goes: I have dove Jacket everything from Sherwood to ScubaPro, Transpak II, STEK, Black Diamond, PLate+Wings both oms plate and Dive Rites. DIR harness and Standard Harness.. Dry (most of the time) Wet,6.5 mil and tropical 2-3mm and I can't really say I've had a bad dive with any I don't have problems with attitude or heavy feet. Last week I sold my trashpak decided I didn't care for the integrated weight systems on it had 2 pouches rip out in last six months along the zipper thats just bad construction. Now my Quandry I currenty Dive HP 120 or LP 104s enjoy Ocean, NC, Quarry whatever Temp salty or not. Thinking about this halcyon stuff from what I'm hearing it's the Halcyon wing tha't the key..A plate is plate, A harness is a harness, but I imagine the wing is the Key..I'm Currently Diving ScubaPro Classic NT for 1 reason..Construction second to none and what a way to be on the surface with all the lift you can't just about ride it in..come to think of it...

I like a Hardback "Tank Stability"
Must be Well Built NO STA worry's me
I usually don't use much air in BC so if tank is stable i am good
My local dealer is having grand opening for next 2 days do I get a Halcyon plate 36 wing or just stay the course.

DDOWN:bonk:

I used to dive a scubapro knighthawk.It is a great bc but feel my halcyon pioneer w/36lb wing is just that much better.

I have the newer style wing with a built in STA.I have had no problems with it and highly recommend it.It keeps the tank close to your back and is very solid.A lot of people like seperate STA's which is cool too depending on what you like. I would have to say you cant go wrong with a halcyon wing.Like you said a plate is plate.Also fredt on this board makes some fine plates and in different weights to suit your needs.Eventually im gonna buy one of his 9lb plates.

:boom:

I guess what i'm trying to say is if i'm comfortable with being in water column.. I can't say I was really ever uncomfortable -- My air consumption is better than everyone I dive with (including instuctors..my 1st instructor in Panama stressed becoming one with the water I look our 1st OW dive was 52 minutes (the entire class) and I came up with 1000. I don't see many divers out there that get that comfortable. I wonder if the BP Wing thing is when it finally clicks and people "Get it" and it just happens to be a BP and wing on their back. I've logged over 500 dives since that 1st one. I guess If I buy a BP Wing to dive It will be because I want one and not just following the "grail" That said, I'm not against giving it a try again it sounds like halcyon at least has taken the Mish-mash out of it.

Tom

:) Well I went and got BP&Wings today got a good price at the Grand Opening of new Shop. Going through the adjustment phase pretty simple just time consuming although now I understand why my previous dives W/BP&Wings were less than optimal. I alway had problems on shore dives of plate making legs go numb on walks to entry point and back..Duh straps were to loose. It will take some fine tuning but I'll report back after 1st dives.

Tom

ddown once bubbled...
:) Well I went and got BP&Wings today got a good price at the Grand Opening of new Shop. Going through the adjustment phase pretty simple just time consuming although now I understand why my previous dives W/BP&Wings were less than optimal. I alway had problems on shore dives of plate making legs go numb on walks to entry point and back..Duh straps were to loose. It will take some fine tuning but I'll report back after 1st dives.

Tom

Here is a good link for setting up your BP.Goodluck and enjoy!!
http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_album.php?set_albumName=equipment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom