BCD's for women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for Zeagle ..... love my Zena - for several reasons -
1. the back, shoulders & vest can all be put together in different sizes for the best fit. 2. No nasty velcro cumberbund - it has a zip up vest front. 3. adjustment straps at the waist, hips & shoulders to tighten things up as needed - even underwater. 4. packs up small & light for traveling.
:)

I bought a scubapro knighthawk - I wanted the Ladyhawk, but the shoulder straps were cut at such an angle, that it cut into my shoulder right at the bone. I have boney shoulders. it did not displace the weight of the BC well at all.. All the weight on one tiny spot... OUch. So, I went with the knighthawk. Which fit better and has a wider shoulder area. Displaces the weight over more body - worked much better for me. I am thinking that the ladyhawk must have been designed for sloping shoulders or something. I can't figure it out. I am pretty happy with mine. As for the crushing of the breasts - well... I am pretty thin and have not much to write home about in the way of boobs - so I AM IN THE CLEAR as far as the chest strap goes....
There's my opinion.
Lucky

I have just got a Diva and I love it! I am quite large chested and have a short body and the proportions of this were a great fit. The lycra bodice part really holds you in place (if you know what I mean!) and is not restrictive in any way. I tried on loads of other standard bcd's and found they either squashed my chest or they were so long in the body I could sit on them!!!

I have a Seaquest Diva LX and I love it!!! But its really a personal choice - try a bunch and see which she likes the best, then determine not only the type of diving she's doing now, but what may be down the road (I needed to have enough lift for my steel tanks from hell!!!!) -

I have had two women's BCD's and the difference in proportions for the women's styles is definitely great.

I started out with the Diva which was a great BC, when I was diving in warm water. I hated it for diving up here. I found the jacket style to be terrible for surface swims. It had to be fully inflated which caused it to be incredibly tight and very uncomfortable, I avoided surface swimming (not easy). I now have a RipTide Grace and I love it since it's not the jacket style.

But, I also know a woman who dives her Diva up here and would never change.

I just got the latest Scubapro - Glide Star. It's really ok, especcialy that I'm rather skiny so I have S size - most of other Lady's BCD even S size were too big. The BCD itself is not a cheap one but really it's worth a try
Mania

My wife has a womens BCD and I will tell you for a fact that while its soft and cushy and padded, its definitely not built to fit my frame, however, it seems to contour to hers quite well. She's never had a complaint about loose fit, uncomfortable straps or cummerbund, etc.. Her only real noise has been the built in weights after the dive, to which we alleviate in a few moments buy pulling out the little storage thingies they are put into. :)

If she likes the back inflated BCDs, the Seaquest Libra is another option. I have recently purchased one: my 1st BCD after 2 years of renting, and what a difference!

I did not like the standard BCDs with air around the chest, because I felt it squeezed me, especially on surface. The Libra offered a better fit for me than the Ladyhawk, with better back padding, and I love the option of the small side pocket.

Itziar

We picked up my Dacor XtremElle on the "auction site" cheap. It fits great and has the air-trim on it. I had a Mares, but the cut of the BC caused me to buy a large for my chest, and then the rest of the vest was too large. I tried on about 40 different kinds before I found one that I felt comfortable in.

Back
Top Bottom