BCD's for women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keyo

Reaction score
I am in the process of helping my buddy buy her 1st BC. She has just become certified and is ready for equiptment. I have access to a really good local dive shop who stocks zeagle and genesis and also has access to almost any brand of BC. He will let her demo before she buys. My question is: Is there a big difference in the BC's designed for ladies VS BC's that are not. Ladies, I am looking for a good starting point so any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

I have tried on just about every possible female specific BC, and will say the main difference in my opinion is proportion. The women's BC are proportioned for a woman's body better than most men's BCs. The cumberbund is slightly higher on the women's BCs. Also, since I'm a small female, I could not find a men's BC small enough to fit me. A lot of the female specific BC's also do not have a chest buckle which can be akward for some women. I will say one thing about the Zeagle Ranger though - that was a really nice BC, and fit my frame very nicely. Too bad I couldn't afford it because it was extremely comfortable. Oddly enough, the Zeagle Zena was too big for me, but an XS Ranger fit fabulously. That is the only non-female BC I found that actually fit.

Yes, there is a big, big difference in the cut of a women's BC. I have the Seaquest Diva LX. It is cut in such a way as not to crush a women's breast. If she can try the different ones, by all means do that. I love my Diva.:)

Happy shopping!!!!!

I have a ScubaPro Ladyhawk and I love it! It is cut to fit a woman's proportions, and is totally comfortable. It also has the integrated weight system, which I think is a huge plus! Good luck finding a BC.

You can "mix and match" parts so that it will fit better for a woman. (eg the shoulder straps can be narrower)

I have a Zeagle Concept II and it fits me fine.

Diverlady

Depends on how much $$ you are willing to part with and where you are going to be doing most of your diving. My wife tried on a number of BCs. The SP Lady Hawk she did not like the fit at all. It was down to SQ Diva LX and Tusa Plantina. She chose the Tusa for fit FOR HER. All depends on personal fit. She loves it. Has about 50 dives on it and would not trade it. We do strictly tropical diving so weighting is not really an issue. The weight pockets on the Tusa are a bit strange at first but not bad when you get used to it. I prefered the LX but it was her choice.

The Dive Rite Transpac is a nice setup I have seen also for women, but the Seaquest Diva, is also a wonderful setup for several women friends I dive with.

I have Cressi Aqua Light which is good because it doesn't have anything problematic across the chest. I found myself squashed with rental ones with chest straps. The Cressi isn't specifically for women but I find it's fine for me. If I buy a second BC, I will look at women's ones, though.

You ladies have it correct...its all in how the BC is proportioned and how it fits the diver! I started with a Zeagle Escape--my only complaint is how low the cumberbund was on ME and the chest strap. I have recently purchased the Diva LX and it is WONDERFUL!!

The problem I personally have with men's or generic BCs is the cumberbund and the length of the vest/torso. I've got those 50-year-old woman hips and I needed something that cut a bit shorter....

Thank you to all that have replied to my question. You have given me some real good insight.

Thanks again,

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom