BCD's for women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Oceanic Isla and love it, but I am trading it in for a Seaquest dive lx with the sure lock weight system. The reason is, the Isla has only 23 lbs lift capacity and the Diva has 31. I wear 20lbs of weight when I dive in cold water and am not comfortable with the smaller lift capacity. The Zeagle is definitely the most comfortable bc I have tried on with its zip up vest, but I wanted a jacket style instead of a back mounted style because it lifts you out of the water in an upright position instead of a face down position. The other reason I chose the diva was because of the sports bra type front and it looks like it is very well made. The best advise is "try before you buy".

I just got a Scubapro Ladyhawk, and tried it for the first time in the Philippines. It was wonderful! It felt almost like no BC at all, it was so comfortable. It doesn't have a lot of pockets, but there are plenty of D rings, and one pull-down pocket, which is nice. If you don't need it, you can zip it into the BC, for better trim.

The Ladyhawk is a great women's bcd. When I tried it I found it was most comfortable out of all that I tried with the exception of the Transpac II which is what I went with.

It is snug in all the right places so that it doesn't shift around, and having a wing means that while you inflate it you don't feel a squeeze around your ribs.

I have just returned from my first trip using my own equipment. I bought the TUSA Plantina mainly because the divemaster at the local YMCA gets a great deal on TUSA equipment. I think it's fine, but I haven't done enough diving to know the difference! Why do some women rave about the DIVA? I know it is designed specifically for women, but the PLANTINA seems fine too. It was around $250. Seems a good price.

The only problem I noticed was that I was having trouble emptying the BC with that hose that is used to inflate it. It wasn't high enough to let the air out when it is attached with that strap. My instructor told me to use the other valve at the bottom to empty it.

5615mike:
Depends on how much $$ you are willing to part with and where you are going to be doing most of your diving. My wife tried on a number of BCs. The SP Lady Hawk she did not like the fit at all. It was down to SQ Diva LX and Tusa Plantina. She chose the Tusa for fit FOR HER. All depends on personal fit. She loves it. Has about 50 dives on it and would not trade it. We do strictly tropical diving so weighting is not really an issue. The weight pockets on the Tusa are a bit strange at first but not bad when you get used to it. I prefered the LX but it was her choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom