BCD's for public safety diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic4391

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, so my department has approved the purchase of new BC's for our dive team. That being said, there are restrictions. BC's can't cost over $900 a piece, must have at least 45 lbs of lift, be back inflated, weight integrated with quick release/rip cords, have at least 4 metal D rings or the ability to put more on, and the ability to attach a pony bottle to it. My Capt. has been looking into getting the aqua lung dimension i3's, but I can't find anyone who uses those for PSD. We currently have zeagle rangers which preform flawlessly regardless of how beat up they are. So my question is what is your opinions on the dimension i3 and are there any other recomendations out there?

why on earth would you be looking at those? Also why is weight integration required?

Get backplates/wings. You'll be much better off and they will have a MUCH longer service life....
Deep Sea Supply or Dive Rite would be the calls that I'd make as they are made in USA. Deep Sea Supply is a bit higher quality and cheaper, Dive Rites can be ordered with quick release weight pockets if you need it on one PO. If you're in Illinois, call Dive Right in Scuba. They're in the Chicago area and teach PSD and will have most of the equipment you need in stock.... Don't waste the taxpayers money on junk....

I agree with tbone on the bp/w. Another advantage they have over any BC is that they can be easily resized and fit to new members.

For Public Safety diving, I would go with the Zeagle Ranger once again. Durable and meets all your criteria. Backplate and wings are great, but not for PSD.

Um we use exclusively dive dive rite BP/W. we do not allow weight integrated. Weight must be in quick release harness and you must also have on a actual harness to tie off too. For your tender rope. We also require completely separate and redundant air supply and this supply must be balanced as in, if ur diving an al80 your redundant system must also be an ?? You got it an al80.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2015 at 06:14 PM ----------

Idk if this is the standard everywhere but in my county it is the only way a psd. Gets to enter the water.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

Unfortunately, we use Zeagle Rangers. They are great BCDs for recreational use, but I do NOT like them for PSD work. They are bulky, and I hate Hate HATE their weight system. They also are not very flexible, size wize. If I could set aside other things to replace these, I most certainly would, and will as soon as I can.

For any number of reasons, I would recommend BP/W for PSD over Zeagle Rangers.

Really why on earth would you be looking at those!!

The i3 system from Aqua long and airtrim system from mares are not that good..

---------------------------------------

I recommend the mares hybrid pro tec
Back inflation
Integrated weights with quick release
10 stainless steel D-rings
55 lbs of lift
3 pull-dump / over pressure relief valves

It will cost 611$ per unit

am recommending it because I own one of those
Top comfy and much much flexibility. you can remove the whole weigh system and reinstall it whenever you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom