BCD Zeagle Explorer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GRB

Reaction score
Recieved New Zeagle Explorer for Xmas from family to replace my 16 year old Dacor. LDS talked them into buying this model. I'm 50ish male, 25 dives/yr and in good shape. Only do warm water diving and am wondering... did they buy me the right BC? Tks!

What features does this BC have? Does it have "Ripcord" system? I have a Zeagle BC now- they appear to be very well made. Was your last BC back inflate? As I recall when looking at BC's, the Zeagle Ranger was only slightly more than Explorer. Rangers are available for less than $400 and appear to have good resale value as you can expect someone to suggest BP&W set-up. Consider also how you make 25 dives a year- could be 1 a week or all during a dive vacation. I do know that the shoulder pull dump (yanking on inflator hose) isn't standard on Zeagles. Anyway- good luck with your new BC.

First, welcome to the board. I can't find any reference to an Explorer BC on the Zeagle web page, you sure that's the name? Could it possibly be the Escape which is a scaled down Ranger? I have a Ranger and a Scout. Both are well built and I like diving them. The Ranger is a bit heavy for warm water travel diving so I got the Scout for that. If it is a Zeagle, then it should be well built. Again, welcome to the board.

GRB,
I think you'll like your new Zeagle in spite of the BP/ Wing chorus that's sure to be welling up in the background. You probably have the Escape as I don't think Zeagle builds a BC called the Explorer. Anything that Zeagle builds, is built well and will give you years of service. You'll appreciate your new Zeagle the first time you dive it, it's a very comfortable BC, and will improve the quality of your diving. I don't know about the shoulder pull dump valve on the rest of the Zeagle BC's, but it is standard on the Ranger. :tree: Bob

I think you'll like your new Zeagle in spite of the BP/ Wing chorus that's sure to be welling up in the background.

*tap tap tap*

:band: "bp/wing...oh yeaaaaaa...bp/wing...oh yeaaaaaa" :band:

No hay banda?

*tap tap tap*

"bp/wing...oh yeaaaaaa...bp/wing...oh yeaaaaaa"

No hay banda?

Dang, Didn't even have to set the hook! :tease:
:tree: Bob

herman once bubbled...

Thanks..... Yes it is an "Escape". Which seems to be in-between a Ranger and a Scout. I'm going to the pool next week to try it out. It seems to have the features I want and is much lighter and more comfortable that my old, bulky, BCD.

While I am not familiar with the Explorer, Zeagle BC's are an extremely durable and well made BC. (They make their own, in-house, and offer a lifetime warranty) I saw one this summer that had over 3000 dives on it and still worked!

Thought it was the Escape. Like I said, I have a Ranger and a Scout. I like them both but found the Ranger more BC than I needed for tropical diving. I use the Ranger off the NC coast or when I need a thick wetsuit and the Scout for warm water/travel diving.
If you have never used a back inflated BC a couple of pointers may help. First, avoid the temptation to "fill it up" at the surface like you may do with a jacket style (I did). If you do, a back inflate BC will tend to plant you face down on the surface which can be a bit unnerving if you are not expecting it. Fill it just enough to keep your head out out of the water OR pump it up a little and kind of get it under you. Somewhat like riding a raft.
If it has rear trim pouches, move a small portion of your total weight to them, it will help your trim a lot. It will take some trial and error to find what ratio works for you. I use 10 lbs in saltwater with no wetsuit so I put 3# in each side in the frount and 2# in each rear pouch. I think you will like the BC after you spend some time in it.

Back
Top Bottom