BCD Remove / Replace Midwater - Backplate BCD w/ Long Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n my SDI solo course which was completed on Bonaire, there was no requirement to doff/don my system underwater..
Not surprising, since that skill is not in the class.

Not surprising, since that skill is not in the class.
Totally agree...... but maybe it's a skill that should be incorporated into the class!

I would like to see how it is done with a drysuit with proper hose length.

Doff and Don is not part of the required skills list. The surface swim is not optional. From the published standards for SDI Solo:
Swimming skills
1. 200 metres / 600 feet surface swim in full scuba equipment, configured for local diving conditions; must be non-stop and performed in an open water environment
Scuba skills
1. Demonstrate adequate pre-dive planning
2. Limits based on personal gas consumption
3. Exact dive and/or no-decompression profile
4. Properly execute the planned dive within all predetermined limits
5. Equipment configuration appropriate for solo diving a. Streamlining equipment b. How to use and carry a redundant air supply
6. Proper descent / ascent rates
7. Proper safety stop procedures
8. Monitoring of decompression status equipment; tables, computers, equipment
9. Navigation skills
10. Demonstrate proficiency of navigation with compass
11. Demonstrate emergency change over to a backup regulator or bailout scuba at a depth not exceeding 30 metres / 100 feet
12. Deploy surface marker and use of surface audible signaling device
Interesting. I expect myself to be able to perform all of this except the redundant air supply currently (OWD, nitrox, deep, 45 dives roughly). I'm thinking about doing this course a bit further diwn the line but it would be for additional problem solving skills. If the above is all there is to it, I can skip this one... It may refine existing skills but none of this would be new. I thought of this class as more of a self rescue class. Am I wrong?

As far as taking off the BP&W with a long hose: I just started diving with a long hose so please correct me. But why would I not doff it over my right shoulder. First taking off the necklace and freeing the long hose from the canister or retainer of course, but then I could take off the bp&w with the reg still in my mouth. Why would I resort to the acrobatic version shown in the initial post?

As far as taking off the BP&W with a long hose: I just started diving with a long hose so please correct me. But why would I not doff it over my right shoulder. First taking off the necklace and freeing the long hose from the canister or retainer of course, but then I could take off the bp&w with the reg still in my mouth. Why would I resort to the acrobatic version shown in the initial post?

Yes, you can remove it like a Jacket. Insert left hand inside the left shoulder strap and "chicken wing" your elbow to remove the left shoulder strap. Then with the left hand, grab the right shoulder strap and pull off the entire rig off your right arm and hold it under your body then reposition for rig inspection. The replacement can be a bit tricky. Slide in your right arm inside the right shoulder strap and do an "otter roll" to position the rig over your back then slide in your left hand to the left shoulder strap.

As the guy in the the initial video, I've done it both ways and my personal preference is the overhead method. It's cleaner and faster for me. But you can do it the jacket way too. Both method works and just a matter of personal preference. Just be mindful of potential snags and traps. I have a computer in the left (teric) and right hand (perdix). Face them down to avoid getting them caught on the straps. If you look closely at the initial video, you'll see that I have a light Canister and Halcyon Bellows on my right waist strap of my BPW. The FREED Long Hose loves catching on to attached accessories during doff/don so ensure that the long hose is out of the way during removal/replacement steps. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom