BCD Remove / Replace Midwater - Backplate BCD w/ Long Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving on the U-1105 Black Panther sub in the Potomac River (Washington DC area) with my underwater archaeology group one day and one of our divers came up with a handful of monofilament line and netting. He said he came up under it on the sub and had to take his rig off to cut himself lose. He was about 80' deep in 12" visibility and by himself. He had a dry suit on and didn't seem too perturbed by the event. I always gave him about an 85% credibility rating, so I pretty much believed him. The remaining strands of line around his tank valve added to his story.
Was he recently certified as an open water diver?

No, not recently. I don't know how many merit badges he had but he had been doing UW archaeology working diving for at least 20 years at that point.
you would agree then that is not the same skill level (a) a recently certified diver and (b) the typical diver. Being task loaded like conducting underwater archaeology is going to result in someone who can handle themselves.

Doff and Don is not part of the required skills list. The surface swim is not optional. From the published standards for SDI Solo:
Swimming skills
1. 200 metres / 600 feet surface swim in full scuba equipment, configured for local diving conditions; must be non-stop and performed in an open water environment
Scuba skills
1. Demonstrate adequate pre-dive planning
2. Limits based on personal gas consumption
3. Exact dive and/or no-decompression profile
4. Properly execute the planned dive within all predetermined limits
5. Equipment configuration appropriate for solo diving a. Streamlining equipment b. How to use and carry a redundant air supply
6. Proper descent / ascent rates
7. Proper safety stop procedures
8. Monitoring of decompression status equipment; tables, computers, equipment
9. Navigation skills
10. Demonstrate proficiency of navigation with compass
11. Demonstrate emergency change over to a backup regulator or bailout scuba at a depth not exceeding 30 metres / 100 feet
12. Deploy surface marker and use of surface audible signaling device

I never said different, I said there is a book, Solo Diver, from which they draw some of their skills and knowlege base for instruction. My instructor had me demonstrate two doff and dons. I was not required to demonstrate competency in number 1 as it was prior evident along with several of the other skills for similar reasons.

That's actually a standards violation. SSI isn't too keen on instructors adding stuff.
I agree that this is an odd set of skills/tasks that do not seem to show up in any form in the Stress and Rescue course. The closest thing is the remove and replace scuba kit at depth yet swapping gear seems not just beyond the standards, but adding a non-existent standard. I can see the value in swimming underwater with a kit in your arms, but again there's nothing remotely like it in the course. I cannot even find two skills that perhaps the instructor was combining together, because there's no fitness requirement in Stress and Rescue either.

Keep in mind this was a long time ago and also that we were working on divemaster training as well.

I agree that this is an odd set of skills/tasks that do not seem to show up in any form in the Stress and Rescue course. The closest thing is the remove and replace scuba kit at depth yet swapping gear seems not just beyond the standards, but adding a non-existent standard. I can see the value in swimming underwater with a kit in your arms, but again there's nothing remotely like it in the course. I cannot even find two skills that perhaps the instructor was combining together, because there's no fitness requirement in Stress and Rescue either.
I hope I don't come across as rude as I never understood the point of exchanging equipment. I reject the whole problem solving claim.

SSI is pretty strict about adding requirements IIRC, so I always advocate talking to HQ. That's been my policy for all agencies for which I've taught. SDI is a bit different in that they encourage instructors to augment the courses they teach to tailor it to the needs of the area and student. However, I always get confirmation that my syllabi pass their approval.

Dealing with entanglements is a potentially serious issue (I've dealt with a few: kelp, fishing line, etc.). For solo diving, a diver must at least be given the knowledge regarding this. Solo diving is one scenario where I advocate sidemount as nothing is behind your back difficult to reach.

I think for swimming with gear in your arms, I don't think it really makes sense. If you think that's a requirement of a dive, then backmount may not be the best configuration. Have the right tools and skills for the job always.

I see countless references in this thread to solo diving.... And they are valid, but this is basic scuba. I have found value while buddy diving in the doff and don at the surface to deal with minor equipment issues, and at depth to check minor gear issues myself to make a judgement call. An at depth example was diving with my 13 y.o., we always do a bubble check at 10-15 ft at the start of the dive. He signalled that I had a leak at the 1st stage, and I asked if we needed to thumb the dive. He didn't give a definitive answer so I doffed the rig, checked myself (champagne bubbles from the tank o ring) and decided it was fine). For most issues buddy diving, you should be able to rely on your buddy (entanglement, loose tank strap, I.D.ing a reg or hose problem), but on occasion it will be handy to be comfortable doffing and donning to check it out/fix yourself.

Respectfully,

James

you would agree then that is not the same skill level (a) a recently certified diver and (b) the typical diver. Being task loaded like conducting underwater archaeology is going to result in someone who can handle themselves.
Oh yeah I agree-absolutely. And it would be my last resort if I was in a dry suit. Lot of bad things could happen there, but if I was diving dry regularly I would practice to make sure I got my procedures down. Quite a few people in this tread talked about having to take their stuff off because they got entangled, so that doesn't just apply to dark water archaeology (or artifact filching). An there are other incidents--for example, how many times have you seen someone lose their tank through the binding straps because they were not tight enough. Someone usually comes over and fixes it but imagine that the person has let their group or buddy get away from them or are down-current. It is impossible to get the tank in when your BC is on your back.

I think it is a useful skill a novice should practice, at least for confidence building.

I totally agree that this is good skill for confidence building and self reliance....

When diving my drysuit here in the PAC-NW......I am probably not part of the status quo in that I choose to where a weight belt along with the other BC integrated wight. I keep 10lbs on the belt, 5 on each hip. My thinking is that if a doff/don is needed that I can first make sure that my drysuit is as "empty" as I can stand, then still have some level of control once out of my system. Other than in demo (mostly in DM courses)......I have never had to doff / don my system underwater.

As for other items discussed here.....I dive a Zeagle Ranger BC with double tank straps and so also never have had any issue with tank slippage...which as mentioned is extremely important on SOLO dives.

Also...... in my SDI solo course which was completed on Bonaire, there was no requirement to doff/don my system underwater..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom