BCD/Octopus failure....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

juggernutt

Reaction score
Mea Culpa?!?

I am a fundiver..just 25 dives and dispersed during yearly holidays.
Sometimes even years in between dives.
Anyway I always try and use the best diving school available when i dive.

Last I dove in turkey..there was this crazy problem with my BCD/Octopus...it would not stop inflating my BCD. Result I kept on rising to the surface.
The rate I rose increase really really fast...I was faster than the bubbles.
I tried everything...but it wouldnt stop inflating...I know that I might in Panic...even further inflate my BCD.

I remember trying to keep breathing(I think) and kept exhaling all the way from a depth of about 20 meters.

Now I am worried about the possible injuries I may have received. No spitting of blood etc..but i feel a pressure in my chest and a little short of breath.
I hope there's no permanent injuries. Tomorrow I am going to visit my scubadocter..But i hope boardmembers can help me out here.

Another think...how do you know the guy that's diving with you is properly certified? Do you checks his IDs? I feel that they did a switch on me. I was going to dive with an instructor...but he stayed behind and instead I doe with another guy. Frankly I think he's not as expereinced or qualified enough. Didnt do any diveplanning or wasnt even aware the correct procedure how to leave the water?
(I mean even i know..that you better hand over the weightbelt first before letting go of your BCD!!)

juggernutt:
Mea Culpa?!?
Last I dove in turkey..there was this crazy problem with my BCD/Octopus...it would not stop inflating my BCD.

In any instance of the BC inflator sticking on, or even slowly leaking so that it keeps filling the BC, keep breathing, disconnect the hose from the inflator, dump air as needed to control excess bouyancy, keep breathing. Once under control you can decide to end the dive or continue by using manual inflation to control bouyancy.

BC inflators can stick with diry/mud and other stuff wedged in the valve holding it open. Ive known a few dry suit inflators get that but no BC.

Incidentally werent you taught emergency drills for this in training ? Certainly here you are taught how to disconnect an inflator whilst dumping in basic training and id guess most agencies do the same.

I doubt theres permanent damage providing you were exhaling on the way up but feel free to get checked out just in case.

Jugger,
You may want to give DAN a call: they can probably give you better advice than a regular doctor. Their number is (919) 684-4326.

As Pipedope stated, disconnecting the inflator hose is the way to resolve the problem.

As for your buddy: when I dive with a different buddy (which is very often) I always engage in a conversation with them and as part of that ask them what certification level they have and how many dives. A 5 minute discussion usually gives me a pretty good feeling for their experience.

pipedope:
In any instance of the BC inflator sticking on, or even slowly leaking so that it keeps filling the BC, keep breathing, disconnect the hose from the inflator, dump air as needed to control excess bouyancy, keep breathing. Once under control you can decide to end the dive or continue by using manual inflation to control bouyancy.

Jugger,

Pipedope is right on. You should have disconnected the inflator hose. Glad your OK. Call DAN or see a dive doctor.

Did you know....When the concept of the BCD was being tested there was a problem with uncontrolled inflation. The "Test Pilot" stabbed the device, eliminating the problem. I understand the "test pilot" said the device would never fly.

Pipedope, how do you "manually" inflate a BCD?? :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Regards,

Cudabait:
Pipedope, how do you "manually" inflate a BCD??
Regards,

Oddly enough by using the manual inflation hole which just about every single BC on the market has. Doesnt take many breaths at depth to make you neutral.

Cudabait:
Pipedope, how do you "manually" inflate a BCD?? :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Regards,

Ever wonder why the inflator hose at the end of your power inflator looks like you could blow into it? Hmmmm....

[nasty boogie711]

By the way - allow me to be the first to say that this is why Air2's are EVIL.

[/nasty boogie711]

You are not diving frequently enough so the equipment failure took you by surprise.

To find out if your buddy is qualified, you must have the confidence to ask your buddy questions about their certification level, number of dives, and experience with the type of dive contemplated.

You should go to the hospital and have them check for a lung overexpansion injury.

Boogie711:
By the way - allow me to be the first to say that this is why Air2's are EVIL.

Yeah, my AIR2 often got stuck in a barely audible (but cumulative of course) inflation mode when I first got it. After a couple years of "banging on it" to make it stop, I eventually took it in for service and the techs adjusted it, no sweat. I wonder if this is chronic not just for AIR2's but other alternate inflator regs? I know that ever since ScubaPro's patent on the thing expired a few years back, there are heaps of better looking models on the market.

I love this board..

Do what you have to do, but you ain't gonna inflate a BCD with a disconnected inflator hose manually "with your hands" . You gotta blow it up "orally". Now, on the other hand, you can manually push or pull any combination of vents after some degree of oral inflation. BCD 101.

Pipedope, you were still correct.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom