BCD I/D Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They aren't the prettiest flowers in the bunch, but they sure do work good.LOL

My Sherwood Zodiac's Inflator hose detached from the back of the BC when a DM in Cozumel tried to tighten it due to air leakage. The bond between the internal flange is gone and Sherwood says it's unrepairable. The Zodiac is made of a Urethane-vinyl material and probably needed a special bonding agent to secure the internal flange. Any ideas/suggestions?

I make my own BC/Wing bladders and use a commercial inner/outer nut and split gasket available from Northeast Scuba supply. I have also purchased them from my LDS for about $12 for the set. Seems like that is what you are trying to make. Since the access hole needed might be considerably smaller than what is in the BC you are fixing, you can glue a coated nylon patch (or use a heavy vinyl tape/sheet to make a smaller opening. Since the parts screw together and seal well there is no advantage to gluing the flange in.

Link to the inside bladder nut Inside Bladder Nut - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

you will need the inner nut, the outer nut, a SPLIT gasket NOT THIS ONE http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/bc-wing-gasket/, and the installation tool http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/bc-hose-tool-plastic/.

You can probably make a split gasket by using a bead of pure silicone caulk on the mating surfaces of both the inner and outer nuts, but I haven't tried this.

My Sherwood Zodiac's Inflator hose detached from the back of the BC when a DM in Cozumel tried to tighten it due to air leakage. The bond between the internal flange is gone and Sherwood says it's unrepairable. The Zodiac is made of a Urethane-vinyl material and probably needed a special bonding agent to secure the internal flange. Any ideas/suggestions?
If it's just a matter of re-gluing the flange to the inside of the bladder, urethane and vinyl are easily glued. Aquaseal should work if it will stick to the flange, but is fairly permanent, and there are lots of similar urethane glues in the hardware stores. If the flange just relies on adhesion to the bladder, that's probably the way to go. If it also is mechanically sandwiched with an outer piece, a silicone sealant or rubber cement will provide adhesion and a seal, and are removeable.

I make my own BC/Wing bladders and use a commercial inner/outer nut and split gasket available from Northeast Scuba supply. I have also purchased them from my LDS for about $12 for the set. Seems like that is what you are trying to make. Since the access hole needed might be considerably smaller than what is in the BC you are fixing, you can glue a coated nylon patch (or use a heavy vinyl tape/sheet to make a smaller opening. Since the parts screw together and seal well there is no advantage to gluing the flange in.

Link to the inside bladder nut Inside Bladder Nut - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

you will need the inner nut, the outer nut, a SPLIT gasket NOT THIS ONE BC/Wing Gasket - Northeast Scuba Supply Store, and the installation tool BC Hose Tool - Plastic - Northeast Scuba Supply Store.

You can probably make a split gasket by using a bead of pure silicone caulk on the mating surfaces of both the inner and outer nuts, but I haven't tried this.
We were discussing this above, and the need to provide an additional patch for the smaller hole.

How do you make the bladders, what sort of material? That would be a great DIY skill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom