BCD Help Please!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the air that went into the bcd was warmer than the air in the room, wouldn't it have the same effect? Meaning, if I manually inflate using my lungs, that air is likely to be 10+ degrees warmer than the air in an office or home. Just a thought.

When you plough through the mayors flower bed as the cops pull you over for driving to slowly you could ask his wife why the students diving normally can see all the other normally diving students bubbling yet not themselves. This is a great icebreaker and always saves me a ticket.

halemanō;5290016:
I have student BC's that leak a little when fully inflated. During a dive you can only see little bubbles if you dive on your back; no bubbles when diving normally.

why (do) the students diving normally see all the other normally diving students bubbling yet not themselves? (sic?)

A BC with small leaks near the belly button will not bubble when diving face down, only when diving face up. A BC with small leaks at the neck seam does not leak when the bubble is over the kidneys (head slightly lower than fins, my fav), only when the bubble is in the shoulder area (rototiller position, hate it!). :coffee:

I think I'd have a hard time condoning student gear that leaks, especially if the leak is one that might become apparent on the surface.

What an experienced diver can manage or cope with is quite different from what a brand new diver can cope with, and a failure of a BC to establish and maintain adequate buoyancy at the surface is a recipe for panic, especially if the student has reached the surface as the result of not being happy underwater to begin with (eg. student bolting because of flooded mask).

I think I'd have a hard time condoning student gear that leaks, especially if the leak is one that might become apparent on the surface.

What an experienced diver can manage or cope with is quite different from what a brand new diver can cope with, and a failure of a BC to establish and maintain adequate buoyancy at the surface is a recipe for panic, especially if the student has reached the surface as the result of not being happy underwater to begin with (eg. student bolting because of flooded mask).

Well, my personal students that end up using my student BC's with very small leaks are typically surfers/freedivers who laugh at small bubbles (did you fart?). With typically sedate and rotund tourist students who have a deer in the headlights look when thinking about all the fish poop in the ocean, small bubbles are not an option. :D

I also rarely change o-rings because of small bubbles from yokes and my alternate breaths slightly wet; that way my students are ready for the real world of rental tourist diving. :coffee:

The main concern about small bubbles might be that they could turn into big bubbles during a dive.
They're a signal that something has deteriorated. I consider them at least a watch item. Your risk tolerance may vary.

halemanō;5290016:
I recently bought a used 4x4 truck; got a really good deal. The brake fluid needs topping off every couple weeks and the speedometer does not work all the time. I make sure I do not get into situations where those issues are a problem.

I have student BC's that leak a little when fully inflated. During a dive you can only see little bubbles if you dive on your back; no bubbles when diving normally.

Helemano...Howzit, Brah?

Might be smart to fix that brake fluid leaking thing. Sometimes the wheel cylinders leak fluid all over the discs or drums, and then, da buggah no stop!

Update: Took it to my Zeagle dealer and the dump valves we full of sand. Thanks for the good advice!!! It's much appreciated! :wink:

Update: Took it to my Zeagle dealer and the dump valves we full of sand. Thanks for the good advice!!! It's much appreciated! :wink:

It's a good idea to fill the BC partly with water, inflate it some and then flush the dumps from the inside out by opening them and letting the water run out. I would also suggest you learn to dissamble the dumps yourself....they just unscrew, the rubber seal and valve face are very simple. If there is trash there it is easy to see and remove. When you reinstall them, they should be tightened snugg- go easy on them, no need to crank down on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom