BCD Handle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devonled

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone!
I have a very strange question!
I’ve been diving with my Aqualung Pearl women’s BCD for quite some time now, and I really like it! However, my one complaint is that there is no handle on the backboard for easy lifting. I do quite a bit of diving out of a small dinghy, which requires lifting the gear in and out of the boat ( a feat that is much easier when your BCD has a handle ). Does anyone know if it’s possible to attach a handle to the BC? I’m concerned that sewing a handle on would possibly puncture the air bladder and compromise the BC. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

If the backboard is thick and sturdy enough...

If there aren't already any holes, perhaps drill two holes at the top corners, and run in some heavy line between them to make a handle?

Maybe some 3/4 "dock line" - Dock Lines

That would definitely carry the weight and be thick enough to make a good handle. Or even run it through some hose to make a better handle.

If the backboard is thick and sturdy enough...

If there aren't already any holes, perhaps drill two holes at the top corners, and run in some heavy line between them to make a handle?

Maybe some 3/4 "dock line" - Dock Lines

That would definitely carry the weight and be thick enough to make a good handle. Or even run it through some hose to make a better handle.
This is a great suggestion, thank you so much! I will look into this!

Hello everyone!
I have a very strange question!
I’ve been diving with my Aqualung Pearl women’s BCD for quite some time now, and I really like it! However, my one complaint is that there is no handle on the backboard for easy lifting. I do quite a bit of diving out of a small dinghy, which requires lifting the gear in and out of the boat ( a feat that is much easier when your BCD has a handle ). Does anyone know if it’s possible to attach a handle to the BC? I’m concerned that sewing a handle on would possibly puncture the air bladder and compromise the BC. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

There appears to be one (or should be one) but it's not very robust and my guess would be that you use it around your tank neck?

From what I saw, pretty much useless for your intended use.

How you would go about attaching something useful, is beyond me, sorry.

Where you have one, these carry handle-positioning straps are mostly adequate
and where you do not, threading some webbing through the bcd is quite simple

IMG_0015.JPG

as imaged on this Aqualung Pearl

Where you have one, these carry handle-positioning straps are mostly adequate
and where you do not, threading some webbing through the bcd is quite simple

View attachment 698037

as imaged on this Aqualung Pearl
I was thinking about adding a strap to my backplate. Did you just run about a foot of webbing through the upper cam band slot? What did you use for the "handle".

I've seen some carry handles that can be added but the strap is not a loop but has two ends with grommets. I assume the idea is two drill a couple holes in the plate but I'm not sure what I'd use for a nut a bolt solution that doesn't either grind into my back or isn't a possible abrasive object on the wing.

Your solution seems to get around both concerns.

Use paracord instead of webbing: not only it's thinner and less "abrasive", it's likely rated to more load than the webbing.

This is not super-comortable but it may be good enough:

Use paracord instead of webbing: not only it's thinner and less "abrasive", it's likely rated to more load than the webbing.

This is not super-comortable but it may be good enough:

That looping works great for shortening up the cord on a reef hook too. Makes for easy storage until ready to deploy.

In any event, to keep this on topic, one could also use a piece of a dog leash for a big breed. More comfortable than cord, more like webbing but not as wide or thick. Might be able to utilize part of the person hold as the handle, depending on its composition.

Some nice webbing, with an adjustable buckle at one end for bcd height
on the tank adjustability and carrying capabilities like the bc people do it

Ooh! Some tubular webbing

String of pearls, threaded on monofilament for smootheness
as these particular ones apparently are not required anymore

download.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom