BCD carrying handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why can't you lift or carry it by one or both shoulder straps?

I'm not sure I'm understanding the need for a handle to pick up an assembled kit with one hand. That would be such an inconvenient and error prone way to pick up an assembled kit. I've always done the following:
  1. Bend at the knees next to the kit
  2. Put my right arm through both harness straps or grab the back of the tank at the neck with my right hand just below the 1st stage
  3. Put my left hand under the tank
  4. Stand up
  5. Move the kit to where I want it
This process works for any kit be it a jacket BCD or BP/W. It also is less prone to cause personal injury as well as less likely to lead to damage to the kit.

What am I missing?

I'm not sure I'm understanding the need for a handle to pick up an assembled kit with one hand. That would be such an inconvenient and error prone way to pick up an assembled kit. I've always done the following:
  1. Bend at the knees next to the kit
  2. Put my right arm through both harness straps or grab the back of the tank at the neck with my right hand just below the 1st stage
  3. Put my left hand under the tank
  4. Stand up
  5. Move the kit to where I want it
This process works for any kit be it a jacket BCD or BP/W. It also is less prone to cause personal injury as well as less likely to lead to damage to the kit.

What am I missing?

I could be wrong, but I had the impression that the handle was NOT for picking up an assembled rig. It would be for lifting or carrying the BP/W by itself. Like I said, I could have totally misunderstood.

a nice handle

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

moving the BCD around
either I grasp at the BCD or hold it awkwardly from the plate

setting the BCD onto the tank
especially between dives when the first/second stages/ torch light, weights are attached

lifting the BCD with gear off the tank after a dive

You don't need a handle for any of that.

I could be wrong, but I had the impression that the handle was NOT for picking up an assembled rig. It would be for lifting or carrying the BP/W by itself. Like I said, I could have totally misunderstood.

Yes, you missed the context of the OP. They were instructed by an instructor to not trap the "handle" under the 1st stage because it is a handle to pick up the kit. That would presuppose using it to pick up an assembled rig.

lets not be barbaric now, stuart :p

Have you considered rigging up a connection that you could attach a drone to, then using the drone to lift, hold, and/or move your BP/W?

Luddite that I am, barbarian that I may be, cheap sumbitch that I am the poster child of, I will stick to lugging it by the shoulder straps. :D

Back
Top Bottom