BC repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by bengiddins
Someone suggested using heat to "weld" the slits shut, but I don't have access to a soldering iron.

As a general rule when working codura do not try to weld the slits or any cut closed, just melt the edges of the slit a bit to keep it from fraying. An old butter knife (or computer slot blank) placed on a stove burner until it glows slightly, and handled with pliers, will hold enough heat to seal the edges quite easily. If you try to close the slit you'll find there is not enough material. The slits are not in a load bearing part of the wing, and should be just through one side of the fabric "pocket."

BTW a "hobby" low wattage iron at radio shack or wally world should set you back about $6-10, and is handy for dealing with frayed strap edges and cutting nylon line without fraying it. Consider the investment in a "nylon tool" if you intend to do much gear customizing. After doing the nylon thing the tip is pretty much worthless for soldering anyway unless it's abrasive stripped to virgin metal and retinned. That process is more of a PITA than it's worth for a cheap iron.

Originally posted by bengiddins
And what's the best stuff to glue say a pocket onto a neoprene wetsuit? I actually want to use it to glue a small embroidered patch onto the suit, but might be adding a pocket later.

As far as bonding to old neoprene externally you can clean and scrub to use a neoprene cement as described above, or just go with a good grade of flexible construction contact cement and a solvent like Goof Off or Everclear to degrease. Fully wet the dry nylon skin with the cement, then oversew the joint with sail needles and heavy kevlar or dacron thread without pulling the stitches too tight so there is some flex left. Overcoat the sewn area externally with the cement to lock the stiches. Something similar to the stuff used to put down Formica is a good choice. It's not pretty, but it IS permanent. Use a neoperene cement to seal the inside stiches if you do that though. Formica glue can be quite scratchy.

FT

I don't want to sound stupid..but what are the wetsuit pockets for? I have to admit, I have never thought about wetsuit pockets, but it is a good idea. But, wouldn't it just be easier to get add on pockets that attach to your waist strap?

Ok, I probably don't know what I'm talking about....

Wetsuit pockets are for stuffing a safety reel and other bits and bobs in. Plus I'm always picking something (dead or manmade) up off the bottom that I don't want to have to hold onto the entire dive. I'm thinking a bellows pocket or something. I've got a DiveRite pocket that goes on the harness webbing, but the loop of it is supposed to sit where my Halcyon ACB+ weight pocket resides, so it is useless with my configuration.

I'll probably just keep putting it off until I invest in a drysuit anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom