BC repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
What's the best tube of gunk to patch a cordura BC with? I had to make some small slits in my Halcyon Pioneer wing to remove the internal rods that form the "integrated STA", to allow use of a heavier external tank adapter, and I don't want to run the risk of the slits tearing or ragging. And yes the slits were into a non-inflating part of the wing! Someone suggested using heat to "weld" the slits shut, but I don't have access to a soldering iron.

And what's the best stuff to glue say a pocket onto a neoprene wetsuit? I actually want to use it to glue a small embroidered patch onto the suit, but might be adding a pocket later.

Ben

For the patch and the slits:

AquaSeal with Cotol accelerator....

Clean the area with the Cotol and then mix 1:1 Cotol & Aquaseal...

For the pockets.... it depends on the suit material.

Thanks

Had heard of the Aquaseal, but didn't know about the Cotol - that will come in handy seeing as I have dived with the wing (pre-slit) and even though I cleaned it, it won't be perfectly clean.

The suit is bog plain old 7mm neoprene in good condition. Pockets are some ways off yet, so I'll just get the Aquaseal.

Hi Ben,
I think the Cotol is just plain old MEK but in a little expensive bottle ;-)

Mixed 1:1 it will cause the AquaSeal to set up much faster.

We have trouble with our pockets coming off so we just glue them back on every so often...

I would think that a neoprene cement would work but stay turned here for more informed posts.

I knew he would be along with helpful info!!!

Shane has a crushed neo DUI but the pockets are nylon and the LDS had a problem getting them to stay on...

I need to find out what they used the last time because it seemed to work.

Haven't found the pocket on my backplate harness yet :)

Thinking about a thigh pocket. I bought the DiveRite thigh pocket that straps on with Velcro, and has a webbing loop that you put your waist harness webbing through, but the Halcyon weight system on my harness doesn't allow me to use this, so I was thinking of just adding some pockets like you see on drysuits to my wetsuit.

Here's a link you can use for reference. http://www.diveshop.co.uk/pages/repairs/pocket/html/pocket_1.html

I'm no suit repair expert, but you can stitch on and glue a pocket to a wetsuit. I didn't have any hardener when I did my pocket on my drysuit, but it's doing just fine. I soaked both suit and the back of the pocket with cement, let it kinda dry up a bit, then stuck it on. So far so good.

Bob3 knows about fixin' suits and used to have pockets for them too.

Good luck.

Mike

I don't know about the wetsuit stuff cause I'm not wet behind the ears yet but a lot of skydiving equipment is made of cordura. It gets modified all the time at the local drop zone by a parachute rigger. Can't these be sewn?

If I had a mod to do on something made out of Nylon, I'd go see on of my buds from my freefall days.

NetPro the newbie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom