BC quickdump inflator loose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking at ditching my BP/W in the very near future, so I doubt I'll make any major modifications to this BC. Mostly trying to get through the next few weekends.

However, I'm finding the discussion very useful. Thanks all!

I have an average bc, looks like its been used as a cat scratching pole not one mechanical or perforation problem 100s of dives. Why spoil trim by lifting a hose, pressing a button and fighting air escape physics, ridiculous, when you can lightly pull an inflator more naturally with your right hand if you dive with your arms comfortably folded and dump from the highest point. Long inflator hose lifting stupidity amongst recreational divers is maintained so that instructors and other associateds can see a uniform attempt is being made to dump air. On the surface they love hearing the initial rush of descent air rather than "Why can't I go down, what's happening, I'm not going down?"
Do they still make bcds without inflator shoulder dumps? Some have two. Ridiculous.
All inflator shoulder dumps are the same but totally different with fine threads coarse threads but not simple as I read somewhere that a diver found his apart in his gear bag, assembled it without the dime sized ring and subsequently died?
Aquaregia your external bc male threaded bit is stuck inside the nut. What does ditching mean? I press the flat bit with the hole against a piece of rubber for grip to unscrew but you only screw the nut. Then you pull the inside bit out of bc or you can leave it in, by folding the hole in half maybe there's a rubber grommet or washer-s. Clean everything lube everything except threads and screw together as tightly as possible by hand. Thats what I do, but then I tape my dumps and regs together as well? Dive shops have two tools used in unison for this. Then screw on the dump bit with the nut. Some use o rings most use washers but none need to be tightened by 16 wrestlers.
Everything matters.

Last edited:
Okay so I snuck into a pool last night and discovered that the leak isn't in the connection to the bladder but in the dump itself. I tried to take the inflator apart but was stymied by bonded plastic parts. I tried flushing the assembly out with water in case there was some sand holding it open or something. Any other suggestions? I'd rather not replace the entire assembly.

Okay so I snuck into a pool last night and discovered that the leak isn't in the connection to the bladder but in the dump itself. I tried to take the inflator apart but was stymied by bonded plastic parts. I tried flushing the assembly out with water in case there was some sand holding it open or something. Any other suggestions? I'd rather not replace the entire assembly.

Is it the inflator assembly or the dump?

If it's the inflator, buy Tobin's tool, along with the seals, from divegearexpress.com

If it's the dump, replace it with an elbow as we said before.

If you are talking about your Seaquest ADV BC, they use a rather unique pull dump and are not compatible with most other designs. I have never seen a simple elbow from SQ. It is a pretty light spring that holds the seat closed so you can't have too much tension on the corrugated hose and LPI. You might also try another good cleaning with the mechanism removed from the BCD. Work the pull dump as you flush it with a good strong spray. A water pic works great.

If the corrugated hose has stretched out a bit, I have used SS split rings from fishing tackle to extend the cable 1/2 inch or so to take some of the tension off.

I have an average bc, looks like its been used as a cat scratching pole not one mechanical or perforation problem 100s of dives. Why spoil trim by lifting a hose, pressing a button and fighting air escape physics, ridiculous, when you can lightly pull an inflator more naturally with your right hand if you dive with your arms comfortably folded and dump from the highest point. Long inflator hose lifting stupidity amongst recreational divers is maintained so that instructors and other associateds can see a uniform attempt is being made to dump air. On the surface they love hearing the initial rush of descent air rather than "Why can't I go down, what's happening, I'm not going down?"
Do they still make bcds without inflator shoulder dumps? Some have two. Ridiculous.
All inflator shoulder dumps are the same but totally different with fine threads coarse threads but not simple as I read somewhere that a diver found his apart in his gear bag, assembled it without the dime sized ring and subsequently died?
Aquaregia your external bc male threaded bit is stuck inside the nut. What does ditching mean? I press the flat bit with the hole against a piece of rubber for grip to unscrew but you only screw the nut. Then you pull the inside bit out of bc or you can leave it in, by folding the hole in half maybe there's a rubber grommet or washer-s. Clean everything lube everything except threads and screw together as tightly as possible by hand. Thats what I do, but then I tape my dumps and regs together as well? Dive shops have two tools used in unison for this. Then screw on the dump bit with the nut. Some use o rings most use washers but none need to be tightened by 16 wrestlers.
Everything matters.

Shoulder dumps are useful while ascending. I think the origination of the inflator hose dump was probably as an emergency dump. It's something easy to find and yank on if you're ascending uncontrollably.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom