BC preferences for UW photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdr231

Reaction score
Back-inflate BCs seem to be very popular according to general opinion on this board. However, I've read that back-inflates can make it difficult to adjust your position properly for UW photography, especially upright positions, compared to jacket-style BCs.

How do you folks feel about BC style for UW photography? Any strong preferences?

thanks in advance!
Michael

Oh ...it's a jacket style, Scuba Pro classic. Have tried several types. My next BC will be the New and Improved..Scuba Pro Classic.

Michael...I think you'll find that whatever BC you are comfortable in is the best one for you. There's none that are better or worse for u/w photography, there's no one right answer.

Personally I prefer back inflates, specifically BP/wing. The clean, uncluttered design of it is what I like so much. By upright position, if you mean does back inflate throw you on your face at the surface....yes it can but it doesn't have to. That's caused by over-inflation and even some jacket BC will do the same thing. The secret is fill your BC until it floats your head out of the water then lean back, slightly reclining on it. It's lots easier and more comfortable than it sounds! The biggest advantage I've found to back inflates is on the surface they stay in place and do not float up under my ears!

I have no trouble getting and staying into any position....which is the answer you'll get from almost everyone who is comfortable in their BC's design. This is one of those decisions you'll have to make by trial and error. Try to borrow or rent various designs and try them out yourself.

Last weekend I tried rebreather and found out it was OK for taking UW pictures because my buoyancy didn't change while breathing. That doesn't mean I'll switch to it. :D

Dee- I'm not trying to start anything (really!). I do see that the back vs jacket debate can turn into religious wars on this board, though :boxing: Was just trying to sort out if the task of taking picture UW made any difference in the debate.

What I meant by upright wasn't on the surface, I meant underwater. It just seemed to me that the back-style would make it very easy for a diver to stay in a horizontal position, which is great for regular diving. But it also seemed that it might make it harder to balance yourself in an upright position if you were taking a photo of something on a wall, for example.

thanks!
Michael

mdr231 once bubbled...
...It just seemed to me that the back-style would make it very easy for a diver to stay in a horizontal position, which is great for regular diving. But it also seemed that it might make it harder to balance yourself in an upright position if you were taking a photo of something on a wall, for example.

thanks!
Michael

Following your train of thought, I suppose it could seem that way but it's not. I've spent alot of time in a vertical postion along the vertical walls at CCV in Roatan....and it couldn't be more comfortable or easy to maintain. Even a horizontal side position, as if laying on your side, is easy. I do have to say I did notice a significant improvement when I switched from my back inflate Zeagle Concept to the BP/wing. The BP/wing feel so much more a part of me, not an addition. Does that make sense?

I dived with a video camera off the NC coast for 8 years and did it all with a ScubaPro classic style BC. I now have a Glide BC and agree with what Dee says, whatever you are comfortable in is the right one for you. I think the key, especially in video, is to be able to transition from horizontal to vertical to on your side without jerky motions. If you were tracking a fish with a still camera I expect it would also be an advantage to do it smoothly.

Cathy Church espouses the use of jacket style as superior. I don't buy her argument.

Whatever fits, whichever style you prefer, use it. I use a back inflate.

As far as verticality underwater, I never noticed a problem, ever. Just make sure you position your tank low enough.

Thanks everyone for their useful comments. I guess I'm going to have to sort it out for myself. Have only used jacket style so far. Will try to experiment with back-style, somehow.

cheers,
Michael

i went through all my OW classes with the jacket style bc and didn't get my ranger till after that class and before the AOW class.

i must say...i've grown to love the wings better than the jacket. when inflating and deflating your bc, the characteristics of the winged bc's stay the same. meaning you don't get the squeeze and or the losening of the bc upon in/deflating.

as far as keeping an upright position for wall photography...i've had absolutely no problems with keeping my position. with the jacket bc's, i hated the fact that they were riding up under my armpits while trying to stay upright. then when it was time to go deeper or shallower to have to readjust the buckles accordingly.

with winged bc's or bp's you don't feel any of this. on the surface while waiting for people to get into or out of the water while on a boat dive, i've found it to be quite comfortable. with the jacket bc, you find them rising up like the old pfd's. with the back inflation, you just lean back and relax while you wait your turn...aaaahhhhhhh now this is living!

Back
Top Bottom