BC - looking for opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So...I've searched the forum for opinions on BCs and still don't feel like I have the exact answer I'm looking for...

I'm replacing my Fathom BC (yes, they don't exist any more, yes its old) that I bought 12 years ago in SoCal. Great BC, but it has over 1000 hours underwater and its time for something new. I'm a warm water diver only these days and want to go with something a little less beefy. I'm looking at going with wings ( reminds me of either a Red Bull or Tampax commercial) and something that is targeted towards warm water diving. I'm a photographer and usually dive a bit heavy, but nothing crazy so I don't need 1000000 lbs of lift. I'm not going to be diving dualies or water coolers, but I do want tank restraints that don't slip. A lot of the single band jobs are inadequate in my opinion. I'm looking for something that has back weights, I don't need to fight my BC when I'm carrying around a big plastic box with lots of strobes and crap hanging off of it.

So with all of that info, what do you all recommend?

I love the Halcyon Eclipse. I find the drag so minimal...I do like the heaviness of the inflator, I can feel it so easily which sounds nutty but often I am diving with my hands full and using only one hand to inflate my marker etc. Of course, there is no air shifting so hovering over a reef rather close with the macro seems optimal. I feel pretty streamlined in current.

MY BF likes his Zeagle ranger very much. I pushed and pushed on the Halcyon, didn't want him to have any brand X! But he wasn't having it and the upside is he has some small pockets which I enjoy stuffing since I have none. Good luck, happy shopping!

If you're not familiar with Zeagle products you should take a look.

I have a dive rite stanless back plate and vebture wing for single tank and classic wing for my doubles dont bother with the zeagle ranger to bulky

Back
Top Bottom