BC inflator/secondary reg combined

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gear choices are very personal and since I don't know you I would never recomend you do anything. What I will do is pass along a question I was asked that was part of the decision process I used when I decided whether or not to go with Octo/power inflator combo. It is a question I had not considered before being asked and something that I suspect many new divers haven't considered.

In the event you have to donate air to another diver, there is a good chance they are going for your primary (tunnel focus on getting air at that moment). I would say the chances of that increase if you have the combo octo because it doesn't look like a reg and is not where someone panicking is going to expect it to be. Thus, you will have to surface, possibly dealing with a panicked diver, while breathing through your octo. Are you comfortable doing so with that set up?

That is not the only factor to consider but it was a good question to ask myself when I was making the decision.

a few questions I have thought about in regards to someone panicing and grabbing the air2 in an OOA.

1. If they yank on it will they deflate your BC (by pulling the LP inflator hose/vent assembly)?
2. Do you want to have to donate your octo(air2) and your bouyancy control source?
3. And... if so, do you then have to wrestle the reg out of their deathgrip to stop an uncontrolled ascent/descent if they accidentally begin pressing the wrong buttons?

I don't know if these things could actually happen but they are the theoretical flaws I percieved when considering that set up.

a few questions I have thought about in regards to someone panicking and grabbing the air2 in an OOA.

1. If they yank on it will they deflate your BC (by pulling the LP inflater hose/vent assembly)?
2. Do you want to have to donate your octo(air2) and your buoyancy control source?
3. And... if so, do you then have to wrestle the reg out of their death grip to stop an uncontrolled ascent/descent if they accidentally begin pressing the wrong buttons?

I don't know if these things could actually happen but they are the theoretical flaws I perceived when considering that set up.

It is actually quite simply. When using a combined inflater/octo you donate your primary second stage.

If you think about you would never reach the OOA diver with the combined inflater/octo since the corrugated hose is way too short.

And... if so, do you then have to wrestle the reg out of their death grip to stop an uncontrolled ascent/descent if they accidentally begin pressing the wrong buttons?

If you were looking at this setup at a local dive shop the person should have explained this to you. If they did not they have no business selling scuba equipment that they don't understand.

Ron,
I have a sneaky suspicion that nothing is quite so simple in a real OOA emergency (as opposed to a premeditated drill) and my goal in diving is never to find out. I have to base my experience with panicked individuals on situations that I have encountered via near drownings and climbing/mountaineering. My sense, like you, is that I would love to donate my primary (on a long hose) but I don't think I can predict which reg a truly panicked diver will go for. My concern is what happens when a truly panicked diver gets a hold of the air2. If you can assure me that going for the air2 would never happen in an OOA then Ok, I guess my worries are unfounded. If not, then my thinking is that I must be prepared to donate both regs (that is why my necklace is a breakaway) or more precisely, have them taken from me; even though I don't want to. Assuming that, when I looked at the air2 system I imagined the previously mentioned scenarios occurring.

I deal with a very good shop (IMO) and we discussed these, as well as other concerns. My dealer is knowledgeable and he actually tries to keep me from making unnecissary/improper/impulse purchases (oddly enough), not that air2 is any of those for everyone. I was raising them here as the OP is considering such a set up and I wanted to provide some of the concerns I had. Some others were:

1. Future growth in diving: Will I want to expand my diving focus in the future in ways that the air2 system may not be applicable? tec, cave, wreck, etc... Will I wind up having to buy a different octo anyways?
2. If I go with a different BC set up in the future will I be limited to only systems that are air2 compatible (or will I have to buy a different octo anyways)?
3. If I travel and bring my personal reg's, will I have to bring my BC with me or be forced to rent an octo?

Personally, I have no preconcieved biases either way, just those concerns. In the end , if it works well for him or others, great.

Ron,
I have a sneaky suspicion that nothing is quite so simple in a real OOA emergency (as opposed to a premeditated drill) and my goal in diving is never to find out. I have to base my experience with panicked individuals on situations that I have encountered via near drownings and climbing/mountaineering. My sense, like you, is that I would love to donate my primary (on a long hose) but I don't think I can predict which reg a truly panicked diver will go for. My concern is what happens when a truly panicked diver gets a hold of the air2. If you can assure me that going for the air2 would never happen in an OOA then OK, I guess my worries are unfounded. If not, then my thinking is that I must be prepared to donate both regs (that is why my necklace is a breakaway) or more precisely, have them taken from me; even though I don't want to. Assuming that, when I looked at the air2 system I imagined the previously mentioned scenarios occurring.

I deal with a very good shop (IMO) and we discussed these, as well as other concerns. My dealer is knowledgeable and he actually tries to keep me from making unnecessary/improper/impulse purchases (oddly enough), not that air2 is any of those for everyone. I was raising them here as the OP is considering such a set up and I wanted to provide some of the concerns I had. Some others were:

1. Future growth in diving: Will I want to expand my diving focus in the future in ways that the air2 system may not be applicable? tec, cave, wreck, etc... Will I wind up having to buy a different octo anyways?
2. If I go with a different BC set up in the future will I be limited to only systems that are air2 compatible (or will I have to buy a different octo anyways)?
3. If I travel and bring my personal reg's, will I have to bring my BC with me or be forced to rent an octo?

Personally, I have no preconceived biases either way, just those concerns. In the end , if it works well for him or others, great.

Fortunately I have never been mugged by an OOA diver. Everything I have read and been taught all the way up through an including the rescue and master diver classes is that the OOA diver will go for the most visible and easiest to reach regulator. That is the first stage that is in your mouth. As a result you would then go for your inflater/octo combination for your air supply.

For my secondary reg I was wanting to get a BC inflator/reg combo. What one should I go with/will fit the BC I am getting?

To me the inflator/reg combo is like one of those little donut spare tires some cars come with...

Seems like a really great idea, right up until the point that you actually need to use it for its intended purpose.

Heres another scenario I read on SB the other day.With a spare air[I wouldnt have one]if your power inflator sticks on the BC,youll have to disconnect it.Now you have no backup reg.I know the dive would be aborted anyway and you would be heading up but what if somebody out of air tries for your primary before your surfaced?

Who dives with a first stage in their mouth?

:eyebrow:
Chuck Norris does!

Chuck Norris can breathe straight off the tank if he wants to!

Chuck Norris can breathe straight off your tank if he wants to!

:rofl3:

I think Larry nailed the biggest concern in this particular case.

A couple of other things to be aware of -- The inflator hoses for octo/inflator units are different from standard inflator hoses. Therefore, if you are somewhere exotic and the hose to your unit fails, you may not be able to replace it. You also won't be able to use your regulator on anybody else's BC, unless you change out that hose.

Second, if you DO use an octo/inflator, it will help a lot if you put a longer than standard hose on your primary regulator. You are going to donate it, and the standard 24" hose is VERY short for air-sharing.

Whatever system you end up going with, make sure you practice with it. The time to discover any awkwardness or learning curve on using a piece of equipment is not DURING an emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom