BC inflator/secondary reg combined

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stonny9

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I dont know if this is the correct section to post this in but here goes.

New to diving and gear purchasing but I have been looking for 3 days and have narrowed my selection down to the Mares Journey Plus BCD. I am going with this BC because I want an integrated weight system and a lower price but still coming from a popular/quality company that the local dive shops carry.

For my secondary reg I was wanting to get a BC inflator/reg combo. What one should I go with/will fit the BC I am getting?

There are some half way down the page
Octo's, Octopus, alternate air sources and spare air for scuba diving

You will probably get a lot of responses to the octo inflator... :popcorn: Kind of a hot topic...

A lot of folks don't like them - but me - I'm fine with them. But the thing you should know is since Mares doesn't make an octo inflator, they really don't have their BC's set up to accept them. Their cable that runs to the inflator end is different - and it takes a little "McGyvering" to make one work on a Mares.

So you may want to make sure you get all the stuff from one spot, where you can make sure this component will work with that component... etc.

There are options from Tusa or Oceanic BC also in back inflate like the Mares you are looking at, or go with something like a Zeagle if you want a back inflate with excellent features and reviews - and then you would have multiple choices for adding an octo inflator. But if you stick with the Mares BC... I'd kinda' suggest you do a standard octo.

For my secondary reg I was wanting to get a BC inflator/reg combo. What one should I go with/will fit the BC I am getting?
Larry is right, the combination inflator/regulator Air2 setups are a hot topic. As a newer diver, make sure you understand the reasons why you want one and what issues (however major or minor) it creates. If you go with an Air2 type unit, make sure you practice doing your ascents while breathing off of it at the same time. You don't want to be trying that for the first time while doing an air share IRL.

You will probably get a lot of responses to the octo inflator... :popcorn: Kind of a hot topic...

A lot of folks don't like them - but me - I'm fine with them. But the thing you should know is since Mares doesn't make an octo inflator, they really don't have their BC's set up to accept them. Their cable that runs to the inflator end is different - and it takes a little "McGyvering" to make one work on a Mares.

So you may want to make sure you get all the stuff from one spot, where you can make sure this component will work with that component... etc.

There are options from Tusa or Oceanic BC also in back inflate like the Mares you are looking at, or go with something like a Zeagle if you want a back inflate with excellent features and reviews - and then you would have multiple choices for adding an octo inflator. But if you stick with the Mares BC... I'd kinda' suggest you do a standard octo.

I am surprised I didn't see the Atomic SS1 on your ScubaToys site since you carry the Atomic B2 regulators.

Any particular reason why?

I am surprised I didn't see the Atomic SS1 on your ScubaToys site since you carry the Atomic B2 regulators.

Any particular reason why?

Probably because they can't advertise or sell them over the internet. They sell them over the counter and I'm pretty sure I saw a couple in stock the other day when I was in there.

Larry is right, the combination inflator/regulator Air2 setups are a hot topic. As a newer diver, make sure you understand the reasons why you want one and what issues (however major or minor) it creates. If you go with an Air2 type unit, make sure you practice doing your ascents while breathing off of it at the same time. You don't want to be trying that for the first time while doing an air share IRL.

I'll throw in here with Larry & John here. No biggie - I have a SP Equator with an Air 2. It will take you like five minutes of practice to get the hang of ascent while breathing off of it (that may even be an too long - I've forgot). Get what you want and what your comfortable with.

If you were tech diving or diving with Dr. Sylvia Earle, then there would be some other issues that probably would come into play.

Outside of the above, if you want an Air 2 octo or a conventional octo ---- get what you want and laugh at whoever makes a comment about it otherwise.

(Side note - Larry - when is the next big event at the shop? Its been 2 or 3 years since the manufacturer's day or whatever it was.)

A lot of folks don't like them - but me - .

Are you sure about this? :D I think it is only on the board, NOT in a real world.

I have seen that more other manufactures are manufacturing Air2 copy over time. Whoever said what on the board, market tells a demand!

For the reference, I got three from Larry....

I thought they had worked out an online sales deal through their brick-and-mortar shops via the Shopatron.com web store?

:confused:

My understanding of the online sales deal is that they sell directly through their site at MSRP and then refer you to your closest shop to pay and pick up your reg. Not exactly my idea of open competition. :) It may have changed, though.

PS - "Scubatoys" is Joe, Larry's partner.

Last edited:
thanks for ur responses. I went with a Mares BC without the velcro waist strap as none of the velcro waist straps fit me right. I will figure out if the octo combo will fit it later because I wanted this vest and could do without the combo if it comes to it.

Back
Top Bottom