BC good for photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLA

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of getting into underwater photography and at the same time I'm also looking for a new BC. I am a small person (5ft, 95lbs) and I often have a hard time finding gear (especially BCDs) small enough for me. Some people have suggested getting a backplate with wings but my impression (correct me if I'm wrong) is that this tends to keep you in a horizontal position. Would wings or back-bouyancy BCs make it more difficult to take underwater photos in a vertical position?

My present bcd, a seac sub portifino jacket, is rather loose for me but I have learned to live with it for the past 4 years (since other bcds don't fit much better anyway). What I like about it are the big pockets which I can put my hands into to "pull" the BC snug around me when it gets too loose or when I get too cold. Plus you can store alot of gear inside them. Would it be handier for a photographer to have a jacket-style bc with big pockets for gear (in which case should I just stick with my old BC)

I only dive in our warm tropical waters (I live in Palawan, Philippines) and carry 6 lbs of lead on a weight belt. Would I still need weights with a backplate or will this already be too heavy for me?

I hope this is the right site for this post (should I have posted in the photography forum?). Please redirect me if its not. Would greatly appreciate any comments and advice.
Thanks!

Cathy

Cathy, I use a jacket style BC for photography. It is not weight integrated; I wear a weight belt. I have found that for my build and equipment, if I roll on my side, it holds me there. If I roll onto my back for those shots aimed at the surface, it holds me there. This stability-in-any-axis has made the jacket BC my tool of choice for photography.

Yes, I do have, and enjoy, backplate and wings. I use this for deco dives with doubles.

If I did pretty much exclusively macro, I might consider a backplate/wings as a BC, but I rarely do macro.

Given your size and current weighting (not sure what tank you're using), you would possibly need only a couple of pounds when using an aluminum plate and STA.

Decide what your needs are, and try before you buy.

All the best, James

The BP/wing will work fine but try one before committing to buying one. There are some of us who have tried them and don't really care for them. I find then uncomfortable and a real pain to adjust. You might try looking at the Zeagle line. They have a harness system that is very adjustable and have an xsmall if I remember correctly. You will want to avoid any jacket style. Not so much for the trim aspects but for the fit. As the bladder on a jacket expand and contracts the fit changes a lot.

If you want to take good pics your main consideration has to be bouyancy control - you need to stay exactly where you want to be, easily, and without effort. This is always a skills practice but I think that a back inflate system tends to help. I use a DiveRite Transpac II - it works for me. One photographic principle is to try to get below your subject and shoot upwards - that's not always easy, and you generally won't make it in an upright position (unless you are wall diving).

My son is 4'11" and 100 lbs. Every bc we found was sloppy on him. We recently purchased a FredT short plate with an Eclipse wing for him. The perfect fit has made diving a lot easier and he likes having his front unencumbered. I had switched to a bp/w in October, but I've only brought my camera along on a few dives since then. However, there's nothing I can see about it that would make it problematic for photography. I don't carry anything having to do with the camera in pockets. The only removeable piece is my WAL and I keep that in a lens caddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom