BC for Dive Master / Trainer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kw2303

Reaction score
Hi
Would you have any recommendation for a BC. want to use it for DM / Trainer situation.

Thinking of getting the Seaquest Black Dimond or Diverite Transpac II

Thanks

BCD choice is a very personal one.

You say that you want it for a DM / trainer role - OK, so if you are diving to this level, you should have enough experience to choose your own. What you deed to do is

1) make a list of what you take underwater with you and work out how many attachment points you need, and then where you want them (then add a couple as you will always need a couple extra)
2) make a list of what features you want
3) make a list of what features you don't want
4) decide where you want your buoyancy
5) does it need to be able to take a twinset OR a single cyliner OR both? (my old scubapro does both)
6) how much lift do you need?
7) find out what is stocked locally (then you can get it serviced easily)
8) list anything special needed for the other diving you do
9) list the BCD's you have used, and what you liked about them, equally important, is what you didn't like about them
10) are there any styles that fit you better than others (eg women with 'larger' chests probably will find the Mares and Seaquest better - due to the placement of straps)

Now, from these lists it should be possible to narrow down the selection to 1 or 2 different BCD's. If there are any on this final list you haven't dived with then try and beg/borrow/steal one for a dive.

Now, you can choose the BCD that is right for you. What I have is right for ME, and is probably not right for you, and vice-versa.

Good hunting!

Jon T

I agree with all that Jon has to say.

One other thing is that the kit you use for teaching purposes should be similar in style (in practical terms, not colours or go faster/deeper stripes) to that used by your students, particularly if you are teaching entry level. Having a different set up to your students could potentially be quite confusing for them, particularly when you demonstrate a skill that may be done differently to how they will have to do it.

I'm with Dave on this..... I think you need a BC to be Similar to the ones your students have on so they are not confused by the demo that you put on for them. I recommend the SQ Pro QD for jacket style bc. Very comfortable. Good Luck!

Aaron

kw2303,

I know several Instructors,When they are training they do not use their own BC's.They use stuff out of the rental line,which is what their students are using.

Tavi:tree:

Several factors to consider -
- Who are you working for? If they sell BC's, wear one that they sell
- What are the students wearing? Wear something similar. Especially important are similar weight and inflation systems.
- Surface floatation - much of your work, and especially "problem" work, will be done on the surface. You want a BC that has plenty of lift and gives you some leeway while keeping you face up. For this reason I do not use back-floatation (wings) when I'm instructing at the open-water level.
Rick

Thanks for all your valuable feedback.
I finally got a Seaquest Pro-QD.
Regards

The SeaQuest Pro-QD is my number one recommendation for open water instructors.
Rick

Look for Seatec Original Manta, get it, cancel the Co2 power inflator and live happy ever after. I am a C.M.A.S *** Instructor, and have used mine for the past 15 years to teach lots of people to dive in my time using this BC.BTW, the company name actually is Inflatable Systems. There is a toll free number for them as well under that name: (800) 223-8548
go there:

I have a seaquest balance and have been fortunate enough to arrive at a buoyance level where i don't have to inflate it 20m<depth<0m. I've seen lots of divemasters and above, who have gotten their "buoyancy settings" down pat and have no problems diving without weights (in tropical waters). Therefore, they have little need of inflating it (except on the surface).

In my opinion, the choice of bc is quite often a marketing ploy. for experienced divers, as long as it keeps the tank on your back and holds everything else in place, doesn't really matter which model it is.

What's most important is that it'll fit your budget and your frame and not be a pain in the ass to wear the whole year round.

Back
Top Bottom