BC diving ... at its best

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kokeldil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everybody! First off, I am sorry if this appears like the same thing I´ve asked a couple of weeks ago in the same forum section - I can assure you it isn´t the same question at all and I am writing to you BC divers again, to determine when and where I should go to BC.

Since I am totally free in my decision when to travel to BC and where exactly to travel there, yet plan to do so relatively soonish (2014) I need your advice ... or let´s say a synopsis of your favourites. If you go diving in BC all year round and if you know more than just one spot up there you´re exactly the one I am looking for to answer this seemingly easy question:

If you had to choose one specific month during a year and a certain area to go in BC for a diving holiday - where would that be?
Bonus points for: why would it be THIS time of the year and THIS particular area?

Thanks a lot in advance. I really appreciate some advice, for I am fascinated by cold water diving and travelling to BC ist definitely on my plate for next year.

You may want to pick up 151 Dives In the Protected Waters of Washington State and British Columbia by Betty Prat-Johnson if you don't already have it. From what I hear fall is the best time of year for spotting life, water temp and visibility. If you like the Mermaid statue at Sunset House on Grand Cayman you may want to dive to see the original statue at Powell River (the same artist made both). I personally like Porteaux Cove, the artificial reefs team with life, it is well laid out and mapped, has easy access and has showers and change house for divers. It is a great intro dive site just time the tides right...

I think in general, the fall is the best time to dive the Pacific Northwest. Late August through September (and sometimes into early October), the weather tends to be good and the visibility is better than summertime.

I have unfortunately not done nearly as much BC diving as I would like, but I can wholeheartedly recommend God's Pocket at Port Hardy as an incredible diving experience. The color-drenched walls of the Browning Pass area are just plain spectacular, and the resort is lovely and well-run. The food is excellent, and the boat is stable, comfortable . . . and has an ELEVATOR! There's an article of mine, richly illustrated with my friend, Scott Lundy's photographs, in Pacific Northwest magazine.

I also had a fabulous dive at Race Rocks, off Victoria, which I wrote up here. Although the wrecks in Nanaimo don't peg my fun meter, they are enjoyed by an awful lot of people.

Yup, best time is the fall. As the days get shorter, the algae declines, the filter feeders clean out the water, the viz gets better, and life in general reaches its max. I would say mid-Sept to mid October is the best. As you get into late October and into November, the viz continues to improve in general, but as you get later into year, the risk of storms/bad weather increases. By December, you will start to notice the life falling off to some degree as there is less nutrients in the food chain.

I would agree that the best spot in BC is probably Browning Pass. :wink:

browning pass all the way. Nothing compares to the life in that area. Browning pass hideaway is another option. John deboeck knows those waters so well he drops you in everytime to a perfect slack (unless like we did last weekend stopped to watch a humpback on the way to rock of life and the last half of the dive was quite a ride)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom