BC dive trip. Looking for recomendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DerrickMcD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am fairly new diver with about 45 warm water dives since December. I'm in Alberta and looking to make a few trips out to the coast to do some diving. The plan is to get some experience and training now when the surface temp is a little nicer and come back later in the year when there is better vis. I may be wrong on this but vis is worse in the summer and gets better in the fall/winter as I understand it. What I'm looking for is suggestions on a dive operator and location based on the following criteria:

-I would like to be able to fly to the location and not need to rent a car
-get some guidance and training with both dry and wet suits (I've been a board short and rash guard diver)
-can supply a full set of rental gear
-reasonably priced? I know this isn't Caribbean diving and I'll be paying more for less but I'm not looking for 5 star resort

Thanks

Both Nanaimo and Victoria have direct jet service with WestJet and have good dive infrastructure and dive sites. However I don't think you will find any accommodation directly linked with a dive operator and so you might still need the rental to get around to the sites. You might try SeaDragon in Nanaimo as they keep the boat at a Marina with a hotel attached and have good instructors on staff. You are correct that the visibility is generally better in the winter but it also quite variable so that there are windows of good viz in summer and conversely some bad days in winter. The diving is great 12 months of the year.

Year round diving! With periods of soupy vis.

I haven't flown out in years, I just drive over (11hrs from Calgary to Vancouver). The ferrie is another 1 1/2hrs to either Nanaimo or Victoria.

There isn't much of 'resort' diving that you are probably used to, but there are lots of shore dives, and shops that run trips to wrecks and OW weekends.

IMO to dive the island, its best to have a vehicle and dive everywhere from Port hardy down to Victoria. Lots of different sites, different wrecks and different creatures.

The only 'resorts' are up in Port Hardy.

Check out some shops in an area you would like to go (Victoria, Nanaimo, Courtney) and see what they may be able to put together.

There are also independent charters like Sea Dragon (Nanaimo/Vancouver) and a few awesome independent instructors.

BRad

Hey Brad, just bring this Derrick guy with ya on one of your next road trips here :) you can show him the ropes and you guys can grow as buddies together.

Maybe have Derrick hire a DM or instructor to hand hold for the first little while for drysuit though and then you're set you wacky Albertains :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Derrick,

Rockfish Divers in Victoria is based out of Brentwood Bay Resort and they have stay and dive packages. They rent gear, have a charter at the hotel dock and do training as well. I believe it's reasonably common for prairie divers to do their classroom/pool work in Alberta and then come do the open water bits there. For what it's worth, I'd skip the wetsuit piece and just do a drysuit course when you come out.

I'm looking to fly out as I work an 8 on 6 off schedule and would like to fit the trips to the island in with out using any holidays and it's a 1600km drive for me. I could knock it own to 1200km if i flew out from work to edmonton. I hate the initial logistics phase of planning a trip but thanks for the replies and starting points.

Back
Top Bottom