BC Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was looking to purchase gear I came to scubaboard and asked a question on regulator brands, i wish i had asked about BCD instead. I wish i had gotten a BP/W from the start. The lack of bulk and ability to customize is enough to warrant starting with it immediately.

Jim helped me get set up with my BP/W so i'd recommend sending him that email

When I was looking to purchase gear I came to scubaboard and asked a question on regulator brands, i wish i had asked about BCD instead. I wish i had gotten a BP/W from the start. The lack of bulk and ability to customize is enough to warrant starting with it immediately.

Jim helped me get set up with my BP/W so i'd recommend sending him that email

+1, only I didn't know that ScubaBoard existed when I was buying my BC. You can be sure that when it's due for replacement (or when I get tired of it), I'll be going the BP/W route.

I am getting ready to head out for work. Last day of afternoon shift for three weeks. Again if anyone wants the article there is no charge or obligation
but I need an email address
to send it to. Thanks.

I don't know that a harness only with no air cell is the best place to start for most new divers, maybe try that later if interested in that style of diving. In any event, I wouldn't count on using a harness alone with no air cell for travel. Some dive ops simply won't allow it. (I actually saw something like this happen on my last trip - a guy was diving with only a slung tank, which they didn't like. So he put the tank on the BC they insisted he use and slung the whole rig. Actually pretty funny.)

+1 on the advice to not try diving without a wing yet (total minimalist) until more dives are acquired and the diver has a thorough working knowledge of precise weighting with the suit/tank/plate/whole combo. There are a whole different set of rules and protocols when diving with no BC. It's tricky and cert agencies don't train for such a style diving anymore. Divers wishing to explore minimalism further should seek out a good mentor who is versed in that type of diving. I recommend becoming proficient at skin diving/free diving first and getting very comfortable in the water before attempting it.

I don't know the two BCDs about which you ask. Instead, I'll be another advocate for the backplate system:
Another nice thing about backplate/wing setup with a harness is that they can be fit to any size. I've seen a 5'2" 90 pound girl fit into the same size backplate that a 6'3" 300 pound man can fit. All that needs to change is the length of the webbing within the harness. It would be nice to be able to try it on before buying it, but the beauty is that you already know you can fit into it when you buy it so it eliminates the concern you have buying the wrong size jacket style BCD. IF you do decide to go with a BP/W, do yourself a favor and make sure you adjust it properly by talking to someone who teaches people how to dive with them. If you don't do this, you might end up with a lukewarm experience with it and not get the full benefit of the system. I would recommend an aluminum or composite backplate instead of stainless steel if you are thinking of doing a lot of traveling. For someone who has never heard of them before, I will put out there that they are a LOT more comfortable than they look. They look horribly uncomfortable when you see a picture, I understand that. However, they mold to your back, they don't actually poke or dig into you anywhere, and they're great for ALL diving, not just technical diving which is where they were born.
Congratulations on becoming certified, good luck with buying dive gear, and I wish you safe and happy diving with whatever rig you get!

Just a thought. You said "I have come across two BC's that I like but I don't know how to choose."

What is it you like with these two, and what didn't you like about others you've looked at? Is there some common feature that you liked? Is there something specific that you didn't like with others?

Thinking about that might help you with whatever decision you make, and might even make it easier to choose between BC's and and backplate and wing system, or even between similar BC's and similar BPW systems.

Good luck.

Neither BC. Both are very expensive jacket style BC's. Jackets are the most common BC used in rentals but most divers after experience go to a back inflate. I wouldn't buy immediately after OW training until I've had a chance to try several different types of brands and styles. Ask around divers in a dive club. Try different stores or online for different brands. Your biggest concern will be fit and price. You want a great fitting BC that is within your budget. You can find many travel style BC that also have enough lift for local diving in thick wetsuits. Personally I'd suggest you look at Zeagle. Much like a B/P wing set up several styles are modular so you can further customize your fit. Some are less expensive than the Scubapro model you are considering. Zeagle also has great customer service.

Not exactly but I do agree with your other comments:
Hybrid Pure

Combines light weight, comfort, and modularity

• Integrated modular weight system
• Lightweight, an ideal travel companion
• 3 sizes fit all

More simplicity for a backmounted scuba BCD, and thanks to its extremely low weight and foldable backpack, it becomes the ideal companion for your travels.

First, just to be clear, I am an absolute beginner, so take my opinion with some salt.
I tried Mares, as a rental, and to be honest I liked it more than a jacket style BCD. It is comfortable, not to bulky, so I looked more into a back inflate BCDs and it was a choice between Mares and Apeks Black ice.
And..........then I found this place. I found out about BP&W, and I liked it even more, being minimalist and such. I tried one in a pool, and to cut it short I'm collecting my rig next week.
But, for you I would suggest to get one if you can and go dive it, to see how it really feels. Also, there are still some problems about loosing weight integrated pockets, so if you go with a weight belt, you're paying for unnecessary thing on your BCD. All this is about Mares, of course, I have no idea about your second choice.
If interested, I can post "review" of my new rig, to try to make it a little easier for you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom