Bay Islands Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zebra mussel

Reaction score
Has anybody stayed in Cayos Cochinos? Wondering what the diving was like. The quality of the diving is more important to me than the quality of the accomidations. Would you go back? What are the good and bad points about it. Thanks in advance

I've not set foot on CC for many years, but I dove there as recently as 6 years ago. The trip to CC from the nearest hop off point is a long boat ride, maybe 2+ hours from a mainland Honduras point.

The island is muy primitivo, and unfortunately this does have an effect on the diving. The infrastructure is not as built up and reliable as Roatan, Guanaja or even Utila. The closest similar Bay Island that maintains a dive op base is Barbaretta.

There are sea mounts nearby that are usualy out of the breezes that may blow. Quite a treat when divable.

Diving at Cayos Cochinos? Not for the Casual Cozumel Caroser, but if you have some Indiana Jones left in you, knock yourself out.

I'm sure that others here have had more recent and more valuable experiences to relate. If you have the energy for it, by all means, go do it. How many can say they have?

You'll be able to paprphrase my line in a few years, "Let me tell you about Cayman in 1970..."

Thanks for the response. You made mention that the fact that it is primitive unfortunatly affects the diving. In what way? Usually Ive found that the more primitive...the less impact there was on the marine enviornment. Is it a waste disposal probelem? How much of an effect does it have compare to West end or Utila?(which Ive seen a noticable decline in the past 10 years.)
How do you remember the quality of the diving compared to West end or Utila? Primitive is just fine with me if the quality of the diving justifies it. ...thanks again for the info!

Zebra mussel:
Thanks for the response. You made mention that the fact that it is primitive unfortunatly affects the diving. In what way? Usually Ive found that the more primitive...the less impact there was on the marine enviornment. Is it a waste disposal probelem? How much of an effect does it have compare to West end or Utila?(which Ive seen a noticable decline in the past 10 years.)
How do you remember the quality of the diving compared to West end or Utila? Primitive is just fine with me if the quality of the diving justifies it. ...thanks again for the info!

I only caution other readers here that just because you can get to a place for a one week vacation and they have a dive operation, doesn't mean that it will be the same as their week diving with Soto's or Stuart Cove. At Cayos, you're stepping back into the past! Benefits often equal the efforts.

"Primitive" land infrastructure begets less than world class dive op boats/facilities, and altho quite passable for the experienced and flexible diver- some may find disquieting. The same state of land development also means that the reef and immediate surroundings are a lot better off- some may not even appreciate that.

Most of the diving at Cayos Cochinos (Pig Islands) is considerably distant from shore and not to be affected by developmental (what little there is) run off any time soon.

Hiya

I just got back from Roatan two days ago. While I was there we took a day trip out to Cayos Cachinos to do a few dives. To be honest, the first two dives were not as impressive as the dives around Roatan, but that was because there was no current and the visibility wasn't the greatest (50ft).

The last dive tho, definately made up for the first two. While the visibility didn't change we saw all sorts of creatures that we hadn't come across yet. Sand eels, arrow crabs, scorpion fish, a couple of hermit crabs dukin' it out and some nice sized jellies.

For a deco stop we pulled into the plantation resort on cayos cachinos. The place seemed very nice and the owners were very nice and laid back. Most of the rooms were set back into the jungle, but we didn't get a look inside. It was pretty hot there at this time of year so check to see if you get air conditioning.

The most impressive thing was how removed the resort was from everything (if you are looking for that sort of thing). This was definately a resort that you would go to and do nothing but dive and hang out on the beach.

Anyway, I hope this helps. If you are looking for a little more life check out roatan. We stayed at Anthony's Key Resort, did 16 total dives and had a blast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom