Bay Islands COVID-19 Testing Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen an order issued in the last couple of days that says all labs offering tests in Honduras (including the Bay Islands) must be certified to certain standards... and the majority of labs offering tests in the Bay Islands appear to be established clinics and urgent care centers that have on-site laboratories. It does not seem that they would need to outsource the rapid antigen tests that are required for entry into the US.

I've not been there myself, and understand the skepticism... but it does seem like the Bay Islands currently has the capacity to handle the limited tourists from US and Canada who need to get tested before returning home (from what I've read).

Keep in mind this US entry test requirment has not even gone into effect yet and Biden has promised to tighten up restrictions on travel. The entry test requirement does not worry me so long as the antigen test qualifies but my worry is that rule could be changed to PCR only.

I booked my flights and hotel for 10 days in the first part of April. So if I understand correctly I need a negative test before I fly there then another negative test before for I can return? Do I need to test again as soon as I get there or is my negative test before I get there good enough? I’m also hoping I will be on phase 1b of the vaccine distribution so maybe I’ll have it before my trip.

I booked my flights and hotel for 10 days in the first part of April. So if I understand correctly I need a negative test before I fly there then another negative test before for I can return? Do I need to test again as soon as I get there or is my negative test before I get there good enough? I’m also hoping I will be on phase 1b of the vaccine distribution so maybe I’ll have it before my trip.

You should really go to CDC to get accurate info on what is needed. And check back frequently as things are changing fast. As of now, you'll need a negative viral test within 72 hours of flight to return. So no, not as soon as you arrive as that will have long since expired by your departure date. You'll need two tests. One in US before you go there, and one in Roatan within three days of your return. Also as of now, vaccination doesn't change the rules in any way.

Something to add to the discussion.

On January 29th I tested positive for COVID. I had very mild symptoms. Honestly, I have had head colds much worse. The CDC says you should not test again for 90 days. The US is allowing you to return by using what is called, "documentation of recovery". So you would need a form showing when you tested positive and a note from your doctor saying that you have recovered and are cleared for travel. I am supposed to be on the Roatan Aggressor from April 17th -24th so I fall into that 90 days window.

I was trying to find out if Honduras would also accept the "DoR" as a means to enter Honduras. I went to the website of "Villa at Dunbar Rock" and they indicate that Honduras would accept that. I then emailed them and they replied that yes, Honduras was accepting DoR as a means to enter Honduras. However, I could not find that on any other website including official guidance from both the US and Honduras. So I emailed the folks at Villa again and they were not able to provide any source that showed Honduras would allow DoR as a means to enter. No other resort is claiming that. I told the folks at the Villa they should remove that from their website if they can't back it up with something official. To my knowledge, they have not done so.

Imagine booking a trip there or to anywhere in Honduras/Roatan based on what they are claiming only to get to the airport and be denied boarding because you don't have a negative COVID test.

Bottom line is, don't go by what the folks at Villa at Dunbar Rock are claiming.

Imagine booking a trip there or to anywhere in Honduras/Roatan based on what they are claiming only to get to the airport and be denied boarding because you don't have a negative COVID test.

The airlines know the rules. They will have to fly you back and perhaps pay big fines if they bring you to Roatan and immigration will not admit you. If they would deny you boarding with a DoR it's because they know Honduran immigration will reject a DoR. Therefore, it would seem the best source would be the airlines. Ask them if you can fly to Roatan with a positive test and DoR instead of a negative test.

I just got back from Roatan last week. Getting a COVID test to return to the states was much easier than getting one to go there. I’ll share my experience here because it did not go smoothly.

I live by myself and work remotely and have very few interactions outside my close circle. I wear a mask religiously if I have to go to the store or public place. I got my first Pfizer dose 9 days before my flight to Roatan. I scheduled a rapid test through CVS for the Wednesday before my Friday morning flight out of Miami. I had recently been COVID tested for a different reason because I had to go to the hospital for a routine checkup.

After 20 minutes of waiting in my car for the results I got a call saying I was positive. I said there must be a mistake (for all the reasons I listed above). They said the test was over 95% accurate. This test is one that uses a nasal swab. I was pretty upset as one can imagine, but I knew it had to be a false positive.

I called my doctor and explained the situation. He agreed to let me come in and take a rapid test. I was not going to have enough time to get a PCR test and get the results in time. The test my doctor uses is one where they prick your finger and use a sample of your blood. Results came back negative. This second test was about 90 minutes after the test at CVS. To confirm the results I scheduled a third test for 24 hours later. It also came back negative and I was allowed to use it to go on my flight the next morning. It’s a good thing I planned my first test with enough time have a plan B if I needed it.

For my return flight I got tested at a clinic a few doors down from Captain Van’s scooter rental. I did not need an appointment. I just walked in, paid $50 and was out of there with my negative results certificate in my under an hour.

When we got tested a few weeks ago in Cozumel to head back to US, the first question the doc asked is if we had been vaccinated within the last two weeks because it can generate a positive result.

When we got tested a few weeks ago in Cozumel to head back to US, the first question the doc asked is if we had been vaccinated within the last two weeks because it can generate a positive result.
I took that into consideration as well but was assured it does not affect the test. My guess is that some tests may be impacted fro a vaccine and others are not. The CVS person that called me with the positive results said the test they use is not affected by the vaccine. I think maybe I was just the unlucky 5%.

The general advice in my part of the world is to wait at least 2 wks after the final shot(if two is required) for the protective effect to kick in.

Back
Top Bottom