Bauer Utilus 1st Run after Overhaul, a Little Help Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I ordered a Bauer discharge valve and new o-ring from August Industries. It leaks at least as much as the LF valve did(leaks down completely overnight). I will give August a call Monday and see what they say. Maybe new valves require a break in period to seat properly, I wouldn't think so, but maybe?

Pump your compressor up to working pressure and then spray all the connections around the 3rd stage and PO filter housing with soapy water. Also spray liberally around the valve cover plate and where the head mates with the barrel. Any small bubbles are leaks that need looking at.

The non return valve on the PO filter may also be a possible leaking point.

Pump your compressor up to working pressure and then spray all the connections around the 3rd stage and PO filter housing with soapy water. Also spray liberally around the valve cover plate and where the head mates with the barrel. Any small bubbles are leaks that need looking at.

The non return valve on the PO filter may also be a possible leaking point.

It's for sure the final/3rd stage discharge valve. As soon as you shut it down air forces its way into the sight glass and you can hear it at the top of the head. It leaks down completely, from 4700psi, within hrs.

I put the original/refurbished valve in and the leakage slows to 600 lbs in 12hrs. with no air in the sight glass.

There is a domed nut with a threaded stud on the valve plate that serves to hold down the discharge valve. This stud must be tightened finger tight so that the valve can't lift up on the compression stroke.

There is a domed nut with a threaded stud on the valve plate that serves to hold down the discharge valve. This stud must be tightened finger tight so that the valve can't lift up on the compression stroke.

yep, stud and cap nut torqued properly, new o-ring as well

I just got my capitano rebuilt with LAWRENCE FACTOR PARTS. I then found out that the parts I bought was not bauer parts. Apparently as I was told after finding out I had a HIgh leak by 1.5 cu ft ((( normally about 1/2 that))) at 3000# the reason is that,,, the rings used were from a vespa scooter of something like that and are sold by LF because they the bought 10k sets and are the same size and supposedly same specs with in tollerance that bauer uses. I am getting about 5 cuft at 3000# and about 4.5 cu ft or better at 4000 psi. I accept that. the parts were half price compared to bauer's prices.

And the third stage was perhaps a 1/1000th different than the bauer part.
Was that an actual measurement that you took? If so, what instrument did you use to make the measurement?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom