bauer model K14 is this a 5000psi compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bartman27

Registered
Reaction score
Hey another crazy question - I see Bauer K14 4 head compressor run by a single phase 5 hp electric motor being sold as a 3200 psi compressor - I thought the K14 is a 5000psi compressor. is it that it is just set for a lower max pressure (3200 psi) and could be set to go to 5000psi or is the units max pressure 3200psi - i am confused - can someone help me out thanxs a bunch bm

You can run the majority of compressors up over 3200 psi but than you will just be adding wear and tear to the system, What you would need 5000 psi for is another question. Compressors have safety relief valves that are pre set at the factory so that you don't blow your compressor up. These valves can be changed to a higher Psi type or adjusted to allow for a higher blow off but not recommended. The Bauer K14 was made to run at a lower rpm this created less wear and tear on the internal components and extended the life of the compressor. I know of 8 dive shops across Ontario that are still using K14's after 30 years. Bauer's are German made should I say more. If you can get your hands on a good K14 your laughing they are easily serviced and parts can be obtained from either Gabe at Lawrence factor or Porter Styles at August Industries.

I now have a 5 cf mako/bauer 5404 5000 psi compressor mated to a casscade system that has low pressure bottles all the way up to a few 4500 psi bottles - i am always looking around for a possible replacement for my very old 5404 and was looking at a K14 as a possiblity - the psi specified in the ad was 3200 psi - i would want to bank 4500 psi if possible - i was just wondering if someone out there was familiar with the K14 and if it could routinly fill the 4500 psi bottles? - i work on a dive boat and fill several persons tanks on the weekend only and try to bank 4500 to help fill everyone quickly thanxs again bartman

DT:
You can run the majority of compressors up over 3200 psi but than you will just be adding wear and tear to the system, What you would need 5000 psi for is another question. Compressors have safety relief valves that are pre set at the factory so that you don't blow your compressor up. These valves can be changed to a higher Psi type or adjusted to allow for a higher blow off but not recommended. The Bauer K14 was made to run at a lower rpm this created less wear and tear on the internal components and extended the life of the compressor. I know of 8 dive shops across Ontario that are still using K14's after 30 years. Bauer's are German made should I say more. If you can get your hands on a good K14 your laughing they are easily serviced and parts can be obtained from either Gabe at Lawrence factor or Porter Styles at August Industries.

Hi
Older k14 run at a max of 3200psi but newer ones are ok for 5000psi.
Any chance of some photos of compressor block & filter system ?
Then we can help you further

Not sure how old your K14 is, but like windyairman said, depending on the age, yours could be rated for 5000psi. My k14 for example (circa 1992) is set up for 3600 psi (nameplate pressure / relief valve settings), however the user's manual gives a maximum pressure of 5000psi. If you have serial # and block information available, it may be useful to use the bauer compressor online manual request form to request a manual. That may be the easiest way to know for sure...

REMEMBER! ALL THE K14's CAN FILL TO 5000 PSI, THEY WERE JUST FACTORY SET FOR SPECIFIC APPLICATIONS WHEN SOLD AND IN OLDER DAYS WHEN THEY WERE FIRST INTRODUCED ONTO THE MARKET SCUBA TANKS ONLY HAD A 2250 CAPACITY SO THERE WAS NO NEED FOR COMPRESSORS TO PRODUCE ANY HIGHER PRESSURE. I'VE SEEN MANY OLDER SQUIRREL CAGED K14'S CHANGED OUT WITH HIGHER BLOW OFF VALVES TO PUMP TO 5000 EASILY, BUT KEEP IN MIND THE HIGHER THE PRESSURE PUMPED THE MORE WEAR AND TEAR ON YOUR COMPRESSOR. IF POSSIBLE USE A BOOSTER PUMP TO FILL YOUR BANKS FROM 3300 PSI UP TO 5000 IT THE BETTER WAYS TO GO ESPECIALLY IF YOUR INTO PAINTBALL.

Typical compresor is 7 fold increase per compression stage, for a 3 stage unit.
So excluding 1 ATM, 7x7x7 = 343 BAR = 5,042 psi.
How long it will last...?.....nothing is free, pushed it to work harder, it will die sooner.

Bauer 225BAR and 330BAR model is only set different at the Final Safety Valve and you can tweak the spring setting.

However, DIN filler of above 225BAR is different than the 330BAR one, assuming you have seen European Bauer set up where the filler hose is included on the compressor sale package. A clamp or Yoke is only 3,300 psi rate as far as I know.

Note : I am not familiar with older <1997 Bauer's.

Stay safe.....
IYA

Last edited:
Typical compresor is 7 fold increase per compression stage, for a 3 stage unit.
So excluding 1 ATM, 7x7x7 = 343 BAR = 5,042 psi.
How long it will last...?.....nothing is free, pushed it to work harder, it will die sooner.

Bauer 225BAR and 330BAR model is only set different at the Final Safety Valve and you can tweak the spring setting.

However, DIN filler of above 225BAR is different than the 330BAR one, assuming you have seen European Bauer set up where the filler hose is included on the compressor sale package. A clamp or Yoke is only 3,300 psi rate as far as I know.

Note : I am not familiar with older <1997 Bauer's.

Stay safe.....
IYA

If you need 4000 PSI buy a new 2012 Bauer 5 stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom