Bauer K14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have bought a Bauer K14 compressor. The unit was disassembled earlier and now I need an advice how to connect the ADV.
It has the old four knob ADV and I suppose that the drain port of the water/oil separator goes to the top of the ADV. But want to be sure, somebody might has the same setup.
The shape and the length of the steel tubes are a bit weird and do not know how the filter system was positioned next to the compressor unit....

c1.JPG

c2.JPG

Does anybody know how this old controller works?

c2.png

c1.png

I suppose it is a temperature measurement unit and a timer.
Most probably one relay is for the temperature and the other one is for the oil pressure. And they are connected in series with the output pressure safety valve.
If the temperature is higher than the maximum allowed and/or the oil pressure drops down the relays open and stop the compressor. And the lights (1-2) show the error.

I think it has a delay timer which bypass the oil pressure valve at the start up when there is no oil pressure. And after a while this bypass is switched off and the oil pressure valve starts working normally.
And I also suppose that the reset button resets the delay timer and it has to be pressed always before the compressor is started.

Page 42 for ACD (Automatic Condensate Drain) with the 4 wheels.
They all need to be closed during operation, draining is done by de-activating the solenoid.
For more specific answers, make more specific photos.

Attachments

• Bauer 1978-02-01_T140-8_1.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 126
Page 42 for ACD (Automatic Condensate Drain) with the 4 wheels.
They all need to be closed during operation, draining is done by de-activating the solenoid.
For more specific answers, make more specific photos.
I had some problem with the Bauer-Control 2 but finally figured out how it works and also could solve the star-delta switching issue.
So my compressor started running but a new problem came up.

There is a small nozzle on the side surface of the ACD:

nozzle.JPG

What is the purpose of this nozzle?

The documentation shows a nozzle in a bit different position but there is no info about it's functionality.
nozzle2.JPG

nozzle3.JPG

When my compressor starts running this nozzle release air continuously.

So my compressor started running but a new problem came up.

There is a small nozzle on the side surface of the ACD:

When my compressor starts running this nozzle release air continuously.
That is on the solenoid that closes when powered.

When closed, the compressor builds pressure, which in turn closes the drain valves from the 3rd and 4th stage.
If the air is coming out through that nozzle, a worn ring might be causing that problem. (I never took that apart, looks like it's at the bottom on my compressor).
Does it build up enough compression with that leak?
Probably difficult to hear with a running compressor, so just for testing: keep the solenoid powered when the compressor stops running. Check how fast the pressure drops (measure before the PMV!) - if you hear no leak and the pressure stays the same for at least a minute, it's good. If there is an audible leak and you see the pressure dropping, it sure needs to be fixed.

1637504648072.png

1637504712252.png

That is on the solenoid that closes when powered.

When closed, the compressor builds pressure, which in turn closes the drain valves from the 3rd and 4th stage.
If the air is coming out through that nozzle, a worn ring might be causing that problem. (I never took that apart, looks like it's at the bottom on my compressor).
Does it build up enough compression with that leak?
Probably difficult to hear with a running compressor, so just for testing: keep the solenoid powered when the compressor stops running. Check how fast the pressure drops (measure before the PMV!) - if you hear no leak and the pressure stays the same for at least a minute, it's good. If there is an audible leak and you see the pressure dropping, it sure needs to be fixed.

View attachment 692005
View attachment 692006
It does not build up enough pressure. The nozzle leaks all the time. It does not matter weather the compressor is running or no.

Ok, so the bleed hole you are referring to is an orifice. If you have air constantly venting from that hole that is an indication that one of your internal seals are leaking. the drain system works off of pilot pressure supplied by the stage 2 pressure. That pressure is actuated by the electric solenoid valve. That drain system you have is a royal pain in the ass. you may need a electric solenoid valve to rectify the problem. If you are going to attempt to take apart and clean the drain system do it carefully. There are pins inside the bottom half of the drain that will fall out. Any other questions ill be hapy to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom