Bauer Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

veriqster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi to everybody.
As some of you know I was looking for a compressor for some time already.
All the leads that I had turned sour so, when I kind of gave up already, there comes another one, local this time.
It is a Bauer unit (according to the owner + I am not to good a figuring out this stuff). It has filtration installed on it but there is no motor. It was designed to be run by an electric motor. The frame is still there.
The asking price is in three digits.
I would appreciate if any of you could tell me where to look for the model number (on the block) and if there is any way to figure out if the compressor is a piece of junk or a viable project, that's without tearing it apart completely or fitting a motor.
I did spin it and the flywheel rotates freely, there is a thump as I with my little knowledge would expect, the filter looks decent on the outside but there is some gasket sealant / formant where the stage cylinders join the block (red color). The oil seams to be in good condition and in sufficient amount.
Any input would be appreciated.
I could get some pictures on the weekend if that would help.
Thank you for everything guys - this far you have been the greatest help and everything I even dared to dream about in terms of assistance, and beyond that.
Regards.
Nick.

Ditto on the pics.

Somewhere on the block a number like this is stamped 99/12938

It is the serial number and the first number is the year of manufacture, 1999 in this case. You can call Bauer with the serial number and might be able to give you some inf. on it if it isn't too old.

Seams like I am walking through the "compressor zombie zone". Just picked up another one last night (I know it looks like trash but it was cheaper then getting the separators from somewhere else).
I will post some pictures of the Bauer unit this weekend, as for now, I need to figure out if this "zombie" if worth wasting time with or not.
Pics are in the picture gallery under keyword "zombie".
I just could not figure out any other way of posting them, sorry.

Hi nick
the photos are not a bauer unit
its a very old LUCHARD they are made in FRANCE
they still have some spare parts
I had the last final stage cylinder that they had in stock
about 8 mts ago.
the unit had to be rebuilt & working for a film.
The best thing you can do is take it to your local scrap dealer
its a waste of time its scrap
as for the separators/filters,get them hydro tested before puting under working load
Find a bauer & try again.

I'm going to go see the bauer on Tuesday, will post some pics that evening.
As for this unit, I knew it's not a bauer and I do not expect much from it, however, I tried spining the flywheel and it seams to have proper compression, at least on the first stage; it's missing some plumbing though and I don't have much hope of resurrecting it. But, given time and a manual for it, who knows - I like tinkering with things, ...
Lollssss.
If anybody has a manual for it I would greatly appreciate if you can share.

the luchard has 2 first stage pistons
both joined on the out lets
the center piston is duplex
top section is the second stage
bottom is the final third stage.
It is a common fault for the cylinder wall to split on the final third stage
if used to over 3000 psi
i dont have/cant find a manual for it.
last one i rebuilt with time & parts cost over $6000
but cost was not the thing
i got used in a film for 4 days

I managed to figure out the plumbing, by the way the cylinders are positioned, their volume + the knowledge that it's a thee stage unit I figured that the 2 lateral ones have to be both first stages.
For the rest of it, the plumbing was in place so I did not have to do much guessing. It's still missing the coiling from the 3rd stage to the separator but if I get a proper size belt I'll try pressurizing it, though, hearing you saying that 3rd stage is known for splitting kind of makes me think about a remote switch (with a really long cord). Does it blow (I mean explode with possibility of causing a lot of damage) or does it just split when it happens? (I have a bike + other stuff in the garage and I'd rather not rebuild that baby again).
In case it does work can I expect it to run for a certain amount of time or is it going to be just a toy to fill 3-4 tanks before rebuild? What kind of oil goes into this kind of compressor? What's the proper RPM for it?
I still have to figure out a lot of stuff, even if by share luck it is in working order.
Thank You for everything.
Regards.
Nick.
P.S. Be back with pictures of the Bauer on Tuesday.

3rd cylinders just split
have not seen one explode
its just a split in the casting under the fins
revs that i ran [due to engine power] was 1000 rpm
out put was about 7cfm
dont use a synthetic oil just a mineral oil
shell p 150 or Bp energol rc150 some thing like this
dont know the types of oil that you can get over in usa
If it is a runner it will tick away all day fine
its a and strong old thumper .
Best you replace the flex hose that is fitted to the final stage valve as it get hot .you dont want the hose to fail under load due to heat.
make fit cooling coil to valve cover. thread is 1/4G female
i have found some spare 3rd stage valves & 1 3rd minor piston ring

I looked around and can't find much in regards to the required oil in my area.
Now, if I figured out correctly that the oil is an "ISO 150 SAE 40" compressor oil then there might be some options but buying 5 gallon drums of oil is not my favorite type of shopping.
Could somebody please direct me to a cross reference for compressor oils?
Thank You.
Nick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom