Bauer Compressor: fixer upper? (help)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iowacavediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Picked this up for next to nothing.... I have no experience with compressor servicing nor exactly where to start with testing this unit to see if it is worth doing anything with. I figured it might be an entertaining project to try and get up and running and learn a little in the process.

based on the numbers I pulled off the compressor and a quick google search, looks like a Bauer Capitano. the fly wheel spins freely (hoping this is a good sign), oil is clean and nearly full, the 220 hookup/wires were cut off, so I have not tested the motor yet.

So... light me up... what is it, what are my next steps?

Attachments

• 71366.jpeg
    71366.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 290
  • 20181211_190107.jpg
    20181211_190107.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 20181211_190134.jpg
    20181211_190134.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 176
  • 20181211_190145.jpg
    20181211_190145.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 229
I am not a Bauer guy but I do take in an occasional used compressor. Since yours doesn't appear to have a filter system, you can't pull a filter to see what it has been pumping. Next best would be to pull the separator and inspect the "gunk" inside. There should basically be just oil and water sludge on all the surfaces. No metal or hard carbon chunks ... great! clean it up and put it back. You are going to have to put a cord on the motor along with some type of a switch. While a simple knife switch could work, I would go ahead and have your electrician install a motor starter. Then "bump" the motor to make sure that it is turning in the right direction. With the drains open and the air outlet open, run it for a few seconds to see that it is pumping. If so, warm up your wallet since you are going to need to buy some "stuff" to do your basic maintenance, filter air, connect to tanks. etc.

Oh ... and clean is IMPORTANT! Since this is oil lubricated and opening drains will leave a fine oil mist in the room, the surfaces of the compressor will get a little oily after a short period of time and dust will stick to it. That oily dust will make a blanket that traps heat. Clean it regularly to help keep it cooler.

Thanks, that is a great pointer in the right direction. Step one will be getting a 220v receptacle installed in the garage.. thankfully my panel is right next to where the compressor is sitting so I'll likely just have a receptacle installed there, get it wired up and see where we're sitting. Fingers crossed...

Can you provide any specs on this particular unit? model, PSI capability, CFM, etc?

Welcome to the world of compressor ownership. Initial investment can be high but it's not bad after. If you want it in tip top shape(as long as its salvageable) contact EP Compressors (ED Paradiso). He's a Bauer tech and rebuilds all makes. He can make that thing like new if it's cost effective. Otherwise he'll tell you to skip it. He services Edd's compressors and many of the tech/cave shops units. He's only in Ocala btw so not a long drive to take the unit. He also sells some units on ebay(at least used to), so you can find him under EP compressors there too.

To me it looks like a really old capitano or mariner, but very old. It may be in the realm of hard to service effectively. Things to do: get an account with a-plus marine and global manufacturing (hey have all the bits and pieces you need) and setup an account with Lawrence Factor for air testing for when the units running.

What I did when I was buying was started looking at little units like a small coltri or a junior 2. Thankfully I came to my senses and went bigger to a K14. I then called Ed and told him I was looking. He asked if I was in a rush which I wasn't so he said give him a month or two and he'd find me a good deal. He ended up finding a pretty rough k14 at a paintball field which he knew would be a good choice. He bought it and then fixed it up for me. Because it was a guaranteed sale, his total price was lower than if I went and bought one of his already setup compressors since I could set mine up how I wanted. The before and after pictures of the unit are shocking, and I left his place with a compressor worth about 50% more than I paid.

He also had me build a nitrox stick then tested it on the unit to make sure it didn't restrict flow, then he added a flowmeter and solenoid like he sells to dive shops for a good deal. I basically have a setup similar to Edd's.

If you have any questions you can message or text me (I think I gave you my number previously)

Thanks Richard! I forgot you had a setup already. I'll likely give you a shout and also connect with Ed to see about dropping by with this unit and find out if it's worth doing anything with. Worse Case senario maybe he'll want it for parts. I've always wanted a compressor but never really planned to get one unless it was a killer deal or just got lucky. Since we started diving CCR pumping a lot of gas is now even less of a priority, but topping off our bailouts/dill tanks would be a nice time saver.

A booster is what you mainly need. I ended up buying a masterline which is an electric booster. I originally planned to use the booster for oxygen and helium and then top off with the compressor for pp blending. After spending time in my rebreather course, I'm finding the easiset thing to do is fill a set of doubles (or a bank bottle but I already have doubles) with the gas I plan to use for bailout and drive gas (likely 30/30) then use the booster to top off the bailout as well as fill the rb oxygen bottle. My compressor will likely be getting much less use than it has at this point. You could always get a booster, bring a couple tanks to a local shop for the fill you want, then use that as your "bank" for dil topoffs and boost the oxygen for the rb. The masterline is pretty expensive, but when I started looking at the booster I wanted (Haskell AG 15/30) and the shop compressor to run it, the price difference wasn't huge. Long term an electric booster has much lower service costs.

I gave Ed a call at EP Compressors in Ocala... super knowledgeable and friendly guy and the good news is he said this machine is easy to get parts for and still manufactured by Bauer, so it is still a saught after compressor. I'm going to drive it over to him and let him take a look before I either electrocute myself of blow myself up. I think my wife will be happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom