Battery Question - Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I'm in the practice of charging my batteries a couple of days before use I see no benefit to using Eneloops. I'm sure they would be beneficial for something not used on a regular basis. Last time I checked mah rating for Eneloops it was less than NiMH batteries, which is more important to me, since I'd get more shots per charge.

Actually, you won't at least for most strobes. Under reasonably high current charging conditions, you will actually get quite a few more flashes with a set of 2100 mAh eneloops than with 2700 mAh Maha batteries. I have been testing these quite extensively and was really surprised to learn the difference. I am writing up my results but can send you some data if you are interested.
Bill

Actually, you won't at least for most strobes. Under reasonably high current charging conditions, you will actually get quite a few more flashes with a set of 2100 mAh eneloops than with 2700 mAh Maha batteries. I have been testing these quite extensively and was really surprised to learn the difference. I am writing up my results but can send you some data if you are interested.
Bill

Hi Bill,

There seems to be a bit of Dejavu about his thread!
Have you come up with any theories as to why the eneloops are getting such good results?

Peter

Since I'm in the practice of charging my batteries a couple of days before use I see no benefit to using Eneloops. I'm sure they would be beneficial for something not used on a regular basis. Last time I checked mah rating for Eneloops it was less than NiMH batteries, which is more important to me, since I'd get more shots per charge.

That is not actually completely true, especially if your camera is voltage sensitive like some Canon A series cameras. Some cameras will actually get more shots from the Eneloops.

15a4c4587a.gif

347f7c8c8b.gif

N

Hi Bill,

There seems to be a bit of Dejavu about his thread!
Have you come up with any theories as to why the eneloops are getting such good results?

Peter
Yes. I have been testing a bunch of batteries to try to understand what is going on. At high currents (like 1 amp) the internal resistance of the standard batteries mean they generate quite a bit more heat (and thus less charging) than the low internal discharge batteries. I have been testing batteries at high current, 10 seconds on and 10 seconds off and in that case, my eneloops last 30 minutes, while my 2700 mAh batteries only last for 10 minutes, maybe less. All batteries were charged with a LaCrosse high tech charger. I will write this up someday but for now, I (who was originally quite a skeptic) have been converted because I have been looking at data not just theory.

Bill

Yes. I have been testing a bunch of batteries to try to understand what is going on. At high currents (like 1 amp) the internal resistance of the standard batteries mean they generate quite a bit more heat (and thus less charging) than the low internal discharge batteries. I have been testing batteries at high current, 10 seconds on and 10 seconds off and in that case, my eneloops last 30 minutes, while my 2700 mAh batteries only last for 10 minutes, maybe less. All batteries were charged with a LaCrosse high tech charger. I will write this up someday but for now, I (who was originally quite a skeptic) have been converted because I have been looking at data not just theory.

Bill

Thanks for the info Bill. I wonder if we will ever get to the bottom of this dilema? It's interesting what a little discussion and head banging will bring about and I'm glad that I found this forum to exchange ideas on. I, like you, have learnt a great deal from this one!

Peter

Back
Top Bottom