Battery on bottom of Cove 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PuyallupCoug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was heading back to shore in cove 2 on Monday and I ran across an industrial battery on the bottom just east (I think) of a submerged piling. It looked like a car battery only bigger. That can't be good considering all the chemicals in battery's. If I had a lift bag I would have sent it to the surface and put it a garbage can when I was done diving. Has anybody else seen this or am I crazy?

There are several batteries down there, actually. They're remnants of the days when Seacrest Park used to be a marina.

A few years ago, some of us asked permission to remove them ... and were told by Seattle Parks and Recreation personnel to leave them alone. The reasoning was that they have been down there for years, if not decades ... and we could disturb more contaminants by moving them than by just leaving them alone.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ahhhh gotchya. Good to know.

By the way, per your recommendation, I peeked under and all around the Honey Bear but didn't see the octopus...must have just missed her.

Occasionally I see Gunnels or Cockscombs making their home in the batteries. Check it out next time.

A few years ago, some of us asked permission to remove them ... and were told by Seattle Parks and Recreation personnel to leave them alone. The reasoning was that they have been down there for years, if not decades ... and we could disturb more contaminants by moving them than by just leaving them alone.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sounds like a little civil disobedience for the greater good is in order. :shakehead: The 'don't disturb' argument sounds pretty lame-duck to me. I say move them anyway. Get them out of the water and off to a battery recycler. I get bent out of shape when people are prevented from doing good. Like when all the volunteers showed up to clean up SF Bay beaches and were told they'd be arrested if they didn't leave.

-Ben

The chemicals are probably long since washed away and the lead and plastic won't hurt anything. If there is copper in there too, it is bad for inverts but I doubt it's really a factor in the local ecology.

If there still is a reservoir of chemicals in there, you are risking a leak if you mess with it. I'd be pissed if I hoisted up an old battery and it leaked on my drysuit.

I say leave 'em.

I suppose plastic explosives and blowing them in place is out of the question?

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom