Battery Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son

Contributor
Reaction score
I figured this may be of general interest to some.

I have 3 Versa Pro 2 nav consoles. On all 3 the computers crapped out.

The first was mine, the oldest, bought in 2004. It was maybe 7+ years old at the time. I was getting geared up to dive, booted it up & it went into deco mode.

The others I bought for my wife & daughter. Batteries got low & needed replacing. I replaced them & both units would go through the boot cycle, flash ALT a few times & power off. I figured they were toast as well.

As we haven't been diving I just set them aside for later, figured I'd just have to buy new computers. now this year I'm making the effort to get back in the water & had these comps on my mind.

Yesterday it occurred to me that just maybe it could be a battery problem. As in what brand of battery I used. I looked and it seems that either Sony or Panasonic are what's being sold in the service kits for them & I was pretty sure that I had used either Energizer or Duracell. So yesterday i bought one new Sony.

First I tried mine. No change, it's still psycho.

So I took the battery & opened up the next one. It had an Energizer in it, so in goes the Sony.

And damned if it didn't boot right up normally. I let it stay on for 30 minutes or so, changed date/time settings & such, looks to be working fine.

So I took the battery back out, put it in the 3rd one (had a Duracell in it) and voilla!!! That one booted up correctly as well.

So awesome news for me, I only have 1 dead puppy instead of 3.

Lesson learned though, apparently not all 3 volt lithium CR2450's are created equal LOL

Back
Top Bottom