basic mask issue/question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Why is it that on the first dive of the day my mask fits perfectly, not a drop of water in it... but the second and third dives it leaks like a sieve?

I've tried several different masks and nearly always the same thing ... first dive it stays bone dry, second dive I think I use half my air keeping it cleared (pardon the exageration)

What "am" I doing wrong?

Aloha, Tim

Perhaps your moustache treatment is not as effective on susequent dives.

Shave that beard...the only way to get a real good seal.

You've got to stop smiling so much. :wink:

I wondering if the warm water absorption into the skin (or whatever happens to make your hands wrinkle up when they've been in the water a long time) could be changing the texture of your face.

Of course, you have to SI to re-metamorphosis back into yourself, so... I donno...

Maybe your mask strap stretches out over the dives as it soaks. Or maybe your head shrinks under pressure, but then doesn't fully return to normal...

I've been wanting to post this since the long weekend, but just haven't yet.

I was on a trip recently where we did 16 dives in 3 days (6 + 6 + 4) - this isn't carrib warm, clear, shallow water stuff - we're talking drysuit, current, deep, cold SoCal stuff. We hit it hard for 3 days.

Now understand, I won't abide a wet mask. I beed bone dry, Sahara, Mojave, Gobe, Moonscape dry. I can't deal with the water torture issue... drip, drip, drip.

So for dives one through fourteen - dry as usual. On dive 15 I was struggling with my mask - drip drip clear. Drip, drip clear... AUGH! Same later that day with dive 16.

My buddy - SAME THING. She and I were laughing about it... the whole "did you leak, yeah me too" kinda thing.

We got back home and went diving locally like 2 or 3 days later. Bone dry. Every dive since, bone dry. Last night - bone dry.

We now attribute it to CGF: Cronic Grill Fatigue. We're convinced our faces changed shape after all the diving and compression. The stuff just kinda moved around a bit. When we had a chance to relax, face re-formed, and poof - no leakage.

That's our story and we're sticking with it. Maybe you're afflicted with CGF after one dive? That could be it - especially if ALL of your first dives are dry.

---
Ken

lol - I like your answer Ken :wink:

btw - no beard anymore ... but yeah I might be smiling more on the second dive ... after all diving "is" fun :D

funny, but I carry my backup mask (which was my primary a short time ago and did the same thing) even it "knows" it's my second dive of the day :wink:

oh well ...

Must be because I'm just laughing too hard over the leaks

Aloha, Tim

P.S. If figure I just have a SDC haning over my head (Second Dive Curse) but figured I'd ask just in case there were some logical explanation

If no beard, then I'd say a wicked 5 o'clock shadow . . . do you shave in the morning before diving? I find I get the best seal when I have the closest shave . . .

However, I like Ken's theory better. In fact, I know some attorneys that could benefit from such head-shrinking therapy.

Brandnew2Scuba:
Shave that beard...the only way to get a real good seal.
I always thought Tim was the one without the beard.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom