basic hull cleaning question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a commercial diver doing bridge inspections based out of Atlanta and would like to venture out on my own for some side work. I only work monday through thursday so I have 3 days every day to work on the side. I used to do hull cleaning on the side during the summers in florida so I know what I'm doing. My problem here is that I'm landlocked here in Atlanta. There are tons of lakes with a lot of big money people on them. As far as I know there is no kind of hull cleaning services anywhere on any of the lakes. So my first thought is that there is just no market for it. However, after pulling my sailboat out of the lake after about 5 or 6 hrs there is a distinct mud line on it because the water is so slimey....and its one of the cleaner lakes. So my question is, has anyone ever done any kind of hull cleaning in a place where there is no barnacle problems? Or what are some things you have done to make some side cash? Thanks guys.

There are tons of lakes with a lot of big money people on them. As far as I know there is no kind of hull cleaning services anywhere on any of the lakes. So my first thought is that there is just no market for it.
You hit the nail on the head. There is no real need for hull cleaning in a freshwater environment, or at least so little that nobody is making any money at it, to the best of my knowledge. But where ever boats live in the water there will always be some need for divers to perform certain underwater tasks (object retrievals, prop R&R etc.) Whether that constitutes enough of a "market" to make it worth hanging out your own shingle or not likely depends on how many boats are berthed in your intended service area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom